Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by siraj p s <si...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/05 16:19:07 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Help to identify the files in the source code

Thank you Eric ...We were able to successfully implement our idea..Can this
idea be utilised for preventing ipv4 address exhaustion?

Re: [users@httpd] Help to identify the files in the source code

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM, siraj p s <si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Eric ...We were able to successfully implement our idea..Can this
> idea be utilised for preventing ipv4 address exhaustion?

*No.*
*I hate to be so blunt about it, but a standard httpd installation* will run
an (virtually) unlimited number of sites from a single server (including SSL
using SNI).
As Eric mentioned, (unless there is something REALLY innovative, which I
don't see in your original email) Apache already has what you are trying to
do (frontend proxy to arbitrary backend servers) built in (mod_rewrite and
the proxy flag).
The reasons that a server might need more than one IP address:
- SSL compatibility with older browsers that don't support SNI.
- Other services that do not support virtual hosts (but that does not belong
on the httpd users list).