Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com> on 2010/10/20 21:47:15 UTC

Patch testing

Folks,

I'm working to get the pre-commit patch testing running again for HDFS, HADOOP, and MAPREDUCE patches.  Since I've been on a bit of a hiatus from day-to-day involvement w/ the project over the last 6 months (new job), I want to check in and make sure folks would still find this pre-commit testing useful.  Also, happy to hear any suggested improvement.  Let me know.

Cheers,
Nige

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If HDFS is added to the test-patch queue right now we get
>> nothing but dozens of -1'ed patches.
> There aren't dozens of patches being submitted currently.  The -1
> isn't the important thing, it's the grunt work of actually running
> (and waiting) for the tests, test-patch, etc. that Hudson does so that
> the developer doesn't have to.

I agree with Jakob. I've had to run and re-run the test-patch and unit
tests probably 30 times over the last two weeks, and it takes a lot of
effort, since my own infrastructure for doing this is a bit messy. I'd
much rather just reply to the Hudson comments saying "these are known
issues" than have to run the tests, check the results, copy and paste
them and *then* say "these are known issues" anyway!

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com> wrote:

> raid (contrib) test hanging: TestBlockFixer
>
> I forced 2 thread dumps.  Both hung in the same place.  Filed
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-2283  This is a blocker
> for turning on MR precommit.

Since this is contrib, I'd like to suggest just disabling this test
temporarily. We can re-enable it once it's fixed.

Not having MR pre-commit working has been pretty painful.

-Todd

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Nigel,

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@gmail.com>.
+1, thanks for doing this.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
Doh.  Forgot to include a shout-out to Nigel for adding the
failing-tests-list to test-patch. Thanks!

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I do believe that it makes sense to wait a bit longer before doing
this. If HDFS is added to the test-patch queue right now we get
nothing but dozens of -1'ed patches. Number of failing tests has been
reduced from 16 down to 4. Of those for 1 is a real bug (reviled by
HDFS-903) and other three (all of the same nature) are needed to be
investigated more.

I'm for fixing the trunk first.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Jakob Homan <jh...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Jakob Homan <jh...@yahoo-inc.com>.
 > It's also ready to run on MapReduce and HDFS but we won't turn it on
until these projects build and test cleanly.  Looks like both these
projects currently have test failures.

Assuming the projects are compiling and building, is there a reason to
not turn it on despite the test failures? Hudson is invaluable to
developers who then don't have to run the tests and test-patch
themselves.  We didn't turn Hudson off when it was working previously
and there were known failures.  I think one of the reasons we have more
failing tests now is the higher cost of doing Hudson's work (not a great
excuse I know).  This is particularly true now because several of the
failing tests involve tests timing out, making the whole testing regime
even longer.

-Jakob

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
Here are the jiras for hdfs test failures on trunk:

HDFS-1306 TestFileAppend4 fails
HDFS-1503 TestSaveNamespace fails when FI is enabled
HDFS-1206 TestFiHFlush fails intermittently
HDFS-1496 TestStorageRestore is failing after HDFS-903 fix
HDFS-1502 TestBlockRecovery triggers NPE in assert
HDFS-613 TestBalancer and TestBlockTokenWithDFS fail Balancer assert

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:46PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
> Just to follow up, the pre-commit patch testing is functioning again on
> Zookeeper and Hadoop Common.  It's also ready to run on MapReduce and HDFS
> but we won't turn it on until these projects build and test cleanly.  Looks
> like both these projects currently have test failures.  Are there Jira's to
> fix these tests?

In HDFS some of the tests are covered by JIRAs for sure. I haven't checked MR
lately but it should be the same there.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Giridharan Kesavan <gk...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I ve just filed this jira for discussions about patch-testing.

-Giri

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.
Thanks Giri.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Thanks Giri!

I'm totally agree that we need to move away from the email triggering.
And in order to make changes to JIRA's workflow someone needs to work with
INFRA folks or a person with admin access should suffice?

I'm offering my help for either way, so lemme know.

Cos

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Giridharan Kesavan <gk...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Old times:

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
Yes!  Thanks Nigel.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@gmail.com>.
Awesome Nigel! That will be of real help.

thanks,
dhruba

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Actually, there's a way to do it, but is isn't simple as you said and require
certain JIRA management discipline like linking JIRAs properly, for instance.

Another veritable here is to submit patches for all involved project at once or
to be able to postpone a patch validation if patch-A isn't available when
patch-B is submitted (project B depends on A, obviously).

After that everything else is real easy: build dependencies, mvn-install
artifacts, build the dependent one with locally installed artifacts, clean mvn
cache after all. The tricky part though is to guarantee that these chained
builds are executed on the same machine. Otherwise, local mvn repo
synchronization will be one huge mess ;)

So, in other words, let's restore the status quo first ;) IMO
  Cos

Re: Patch testing

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 08:46PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
> Lol. At least now we know how much it's valued. I could get a foot long from subway.

But hurry Nige - pretty soon it's gonna be worthless ;(

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Great.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Re: Patch testing

Posted by Aaron Myers <at...@cloudera.com>.
+1

There have been several tests failing on trunk for entirely too long, and I
believe this will help prevent further regressions while we address those
issues.

Thanks a lot for volunteering to do this work, Nigel.

Aaron