Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net> on 2005/02/24 14:37:19 UTC

[vipul@cloudmark.com: [Razor-users] Razor2 Caching Service (RFC)]

If you haven't seen it, Vipul posted this on the razor-users list last night:

----- Forwarded message from Vipul Ved Prakash <vi...@cloudmark.com> -----

From: "Vipul Ved Prakash" <vi...@cloudmark.com>
To: <ra...@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Razor-users] Razor2 Caching Service (RFC)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:45:30 -0800

Folks,

Many of you have written to me over the last few months about
the possibility of caching Razor signatures to avoid network
latency of Razor check. We've come up with a plan and I want
your feedback, specially if you are running Razor in a high-
volume environment like an ISP.

As you know, the open source Razor agents support a subset of
signature schemes supported by the commercial SpamNet products.
The extra signatures supported by SpamNet allows for over 98%
accuracy. We've extended the Razor2/SpamNet system to identify a
relatively small hot set of signatures responsible for 90%
accuracy. This set is designed to be "conservative", in that it
has an extremely low false positive rate.

As regards to Razor2, here's the idea: We can develop a plug-in
to SpamAssassin that keeps an up-to-date hot set of
Razor2/SpamNet signatures on the local machine, has support for
all signature schemes and can identify upto 90% of spam before
it goes through the rest of SA checks. The local Razor2 cache
would be extremely fast (able to process 10s if not 100s of
messages/second), and the cache would be less than 20 Mb in
size. In effect, it will increase both accuracy and throughput
of a SpamAssassin spam filtration setup.

If enough people are interested, we would provide this as a
commercial service at a nominal cost. If you are interested,
please send me email at vipul@cloudmark.com with your thoughts
on the design and pricing. Also, feel free to forward this mail
to anyone you think would be interested.

cheers,
Vipul

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"If you aren't willing to give anything back to a project that helped