Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by congo thomas <ap...@thva.dk> on 2012/09/24 23:59:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Multible SSL sites for a single httpd/IP

hello,

Can I host multible SSL sites on the same IP and port? (x.x.x.x:443)

I want to setup a grand proxy for in front of a vast number of apache and
iis (and other webservers), in order to avoid complex ssl configs
throughout the platform, i want to reverse proxy as plain http to the
backend, where initial connection is https.. I recently read something
about apache httpd being able to do this, however, it never before came
across my attention...

br
congo

Re: [users@httpd] Multible SSL sites for a single httpd/IP

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@truls.org>.
On 2012-09-25 01:02, John Karr wrote:
> Older browsers don't support the protocol enhancement that makes it
> possible. Which means that for example IE on XP will have issues.

Actually it does work with older browsers if you use a certificate that
is valid for all server names you use. This is typically done by setting
multiple SubjectAltNames in the certificate.

The SNI enhancements are only needed if you want/need to use different
certificates.

Regards
/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman
http://www.truls.org/

RE: [users@httpd] Multible SSL sites for a single httpd/IP

Posted by John Karr <br...@brainbuz.org>.
Older browsers don't support the protocol enhancement that makes it
possible. Which means that for example IE on XP will have issues. It was
awesome when I tried to stick a second certificate on a server and it worked
and I didn't need to rent an extra ip address from my isp, but the price is
some percentage of clients will get a certificate mismatch.

You can read more at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/ssl/ssl_faq.html and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication