Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/10 04:35:26 UTC

[DISCUSS]+[VOTE] Trademark and Branding

We've had a lengthy discussion on ooo-marketing regarding trademark and
branding considerations and options. It's time we moved forward and made a
decision in order to expedite the ongoing migration of the web site and to
remove one more obstacle from the dev team.

We want to preserve and protect the historic OpenOffice.org trademark. The
choice of an Apache name and new trademark will not impact the historic

Since this is a major decision we felt it important to bring it back to
ooo-dev for final discussion then vote. We have the choices presented on
the wiki[1] for your reference.

[1]https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
Branding+Planning<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Branding+Planning>

Re: [DISCUSS]+[VOTE] Trademark and Branding

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
There seems to be some requiring questions in this ballot.  We had a
length discussion on these topics on the ooo-marketing list, but not
everyone followed that discussions.

Some things to keep in mind:

1) This is a vote for what name the project prefers.  Whatever choice
we decide on will still be subject to Apache branding and legal
review.   So it makes sense to vote on what name you really want.  If
our first choice is not available, then we can discuss and vote on a
2nd choice.  But let's not let "folk wisdom" about trademark law
interfere with this vote.  We'll let the the experts weigh in on the
legal suitability of our preferred name later.

2) Whatever name we choose, ASF will continue to own the
OpenOffice.org trademark.  We're not voting on whether we eliminate
that.

3) The name of our mailing list is not really relevant.  When we
graduate we will change the list names.  For example,
ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org could be renamed, including to names
like:

dev@openoffice.apache.org
dev@openofficeorg.apache.org
dev@office.apache.org
dev@ooo.apache.org

A similar base name would be used for the project's website.  The
choice of what base name we'll use is another decision.  We're not
voting on that now, though obviously we'll want our list address to
tie into the overall branding.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: [DISCUSS]+[VOTE] Trademark and Branding

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
I just noticed that Dennis started an independent discussion thread on
the branding vote on the forums:

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=45224

Although it had the best intentions, the thread quickly degenerated
into discussions on how to vote without subscribing to to ooo-dev,
complaining about Apache and the Apache Way, and personal attacks,

But most of all, the thread was entirely ineffective.  Although it may
have triggered a few additional votes, by having this fragmented
discussion in an obscure forum thread which is never seen by the vast
majority of the PPMC, it had almost zero influence on anyone else's
opinions.  There is a reason why we have a [DISCUSSION] thread on
ooo-dev in parallel to a [VOTE] thread.  This is so you can make an
argument for your position and potentially persuade others.

So I'd urge, in the future, if there is a community-wide discussion or
vote, to come to where the core discussion and vote is occurring and
make your views know here.  You can always unscubscribe to the list
after the vote if you have no further interest.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
The vote should reflect the data from the Wiki, right? So, why is the
last option missing:

e) Apache Office Suite

Furthermore, when I don't like any of them? How to vote then? IMHO
another option should be added:

f) nothing of the above

My 2 ct.

Marcus

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
The wiki is editable you can make your own adjustments and people can judge for themselves

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> On 2011-11-10 2:18 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> ...snip...
>

>  i think it is important to know the possibilities later for a project
>> name.
>>
>> If we vote for a) and later on the project name would be the same and
>> the project Url would be openofficeorg.apache.org. Then i would say a
>> bad choice.
>>

> Note: the URL to the official community homepage of the project on the a.o
> site is not relevant at the moment, since there's no strict requirement for
> the full brand name of the project to be identical to the actual URL.
>
> It would be fine to call it "Apache OpenOffice", and then have the
> community homepage of the project be ooo.apache.org, for example.  The
> URL only needs to be decided later, before the project graduates from
> incubation.
>
> ...snip...
>
>  So my question is where should the new product name be used all about?
>> Only on the intro screen, in the help system, in all written docu where
>> we use the product name. Or also as name for the install directory, menu
>> entries etc.
>>

> The new project name should be the primary branding of the product as an
> end user would see it on our websites.  I.e. it would be at the top of the
> web page, displayed in the logo (perhaps, depending on the graphical
> design), would say "Download FooBrandSoftware" in the links to the download
> page, and would be part of the actual filename of the primary download file
> that users would install from.
>
> From a branding perspective, the full product branding does not need to be
> in the menubar, any directory or class or module names, nor similar areas -
> unless the project wishes to use them there.  I really don't think we need
> to worry about the details of the code and the bulk of the UI yet; that is
> a larger discussion that can happen once we actually pick a name.
>

>> I never liked the .org but have conditioned my brain to use it over the
>> past 14 years. Many people don't say OpenOffice.org but OpenOffice,
>> means it is more often used when you reference the product somewhere in
>> written form.
>>

> Personally, since the common usage is OpenOffice, I strongly prefer that
> form, as in Apache OpenOffice.

+1

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/10/11 5:28 PM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> On 2011-11-10 2:18 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> ...snip...
>
>> i think it is important to know the possibilities later for a project
>> name.
>>
>> If we vote for a) and later on the project name would be the same and
>> the project Url would be openofficeorg.apache.org. Then i would say a
>> bad choice.
>
> Note: the URL to the official community homepage of the project on the
> a.o site is not relevant at the moment, since there's no strict
> requirement for the full brand name of the project to be identical to
> the actual URL.
>
> It would be fine to call it "Apache OpenOffice", and then have the
> community homepage of the project be ooo.apache.org, for example. The
> URL only needs to be decided later, before the project graduates from
> incubation.

fine, thanks for the clarification. I simply wanted to be sure!

> ...snip...
>> So my question is where should the new product name be used all about?
>> Only on the intro screen, in the help system, in all written docu where
>> we use the product name. Or also as name for the install directory, menu
>> entries etc.
>
> The new project name should be the primary branding of the product as an
> end user would see it on our websites. I.e. it would be at the top of
> the web page, displayed in the logo (perhaps, depending on the graphical
> design), would say "Download FooBrandSoftware" in the links to the
> download page, and would be part of the actual filename of the primary
> download file that users would install from.
>
>  From a branding perspective, the full product branding does not need to
> be in the menubar, any directory or class or module names, nor similar
> areas - unless the project wishes to use them there. I really don't
> think we need to worry about the details of the code and the bulk of the
> UI yet; that is a larger discussion that can happen once we actually
> pick a name.

i always prefer to take a look on this things in front of any decision
making process if possible. Often things become more clear then and
mistakes can be often avoided.

>> I never liked the .org but have conditioned my brain to use it over the
>> past 14 years. Many people don't say OpenOffice.org but OpenOffice,
>> means it is more often used when you reference the product somewhere in
>> written form.
>
> Personally, since the common usage is OpenOffice, I strongly prefer that
> form, as in Apache OpenOffice.
i tend to agree here

Juergen

Re: [DISCUSS]+[VOTE] Trademark and Branding

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 2011-11-10 2:18 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
...snip...

> i think it is important to know the possibilities later for a project name.
>
> If we vote for a) and later on the project name would be the same and
> the project Url would be openofficeorg.apache.org. Then i would say a
> bad choice.

Note: the URL to the official community homepage of the project on the
a.o site is not relevant at the moment, since there's no strict
requirement for the full brand name of the project to be identical to
the actual URL.

It would be fine to call it "Apache OpenOffice", and then have the
community homepage of the project be ooo.apache.org, for example.  The
URL only needs to be decided later, before the project graduates from
incubation.

...snip...
> So my question is where should the new product name be used all about?
> Only on the intro screen, in the help system, in all written docu where
> we use the product name. Or also as name for the install directory, menu
> entries etc.

The new project name should be the primary branding of the product as an
end user would see it on our websites.  I.e. it would be at the top of
the web page, displayed in the logo (perhaps, depending on the graphical
design), would say "Download FooBrandSoftware" in the links to the
download page, and would be part of the actual filename of the primary
download file that users would install from.

 From a branding perspective, the full product branding does not need to

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/10/11 6:12 AM, Donald Harbison wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM, Pedro Giffuni<pf...@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> Hello;
>>
>> An important question. The vote is for choosing the
>> product name, can the project name be different?
>>

> The vote is for the product name, if you wish to begin a [DISCUSSON] about
> the project name, is your choice. Be aware that we began the podling as
> described here: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openofficeorg.html
>
> To make this clear: I would think it practical to
>> keep option (a) for the product, but option (b)
>> for the project.
>>

> Please cast your vote for the product only. That is the ballot.

i think it is important to know the possibilities later for a project name.

If we vote for a) and later on the project name would be the same and
the project Url would be openofficeorg.apache.org. Then i would say a
bad choice.

And thinking more about the visibility of the product name in various
places on a desktop. I would really like to keep OpenOffice.org as it
was in the past because of the well known brand awareness.

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Barton <bm...@apache.org>.
> I must admit to wondering who "we" are in your statements, Donald.

See: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-marketing/

Dave

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.