Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/23 10:35:46 UTC

public facing CI for the C++ components

Hi all,

I think it would be a good idea if we could get some public facing CI
set up for the C++ components. There have been various issues which
have gone unnnoticed in recent weeks at least in part due to the lack
of CI as a fallback after not spotting the issues otherwise. We have
some projects set up for the Java tree on the ASF Jenkins instances
(more to follow, once we get some issues with the framework sorted
out), it would be good to get something set up for the C++ broker,
either directly running there or through its remote results reporting
abilities.

Any volunteers willing to get involved?

Some of the recent examples which should have been highlighted by CI
if nothing else:
- I helped break SSL in the 0-10 Java client codepath several weeks
ago and it was only noticed when we were finally fixing SSL in the
Java broker and the 0-8/0-9 client codepath last week. It turned out
the 'cpp' test profile was only no-op'ing whilst saying it was running
the SSL test, and so the only tests that used SSL were in the
'cpp.ssl' test profile (we are running SSL tests in every profile for
the Java broker now though) which evidently no one has been running
considering our
failure to spot the issue, or the fact one of the tests was taking
half an hour to run (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-3431).
- The C++ broker recently started enforcing that exchange.bind
commands dont use the empty string (though it is throwing the wrong
exception when it does,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-3443), this has broken a
few of the AddressBasedDestination test cases covering the Addressing
syntax support in the Java client, although the Java broker test
profiles dont currently show that because it too has not been checking
for the empty string
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-3444).
- The recent IPv6 work broke all the Java test profiles for the C++
broker by altering its startup logging which meant the test framework
thought it had failed to start properly
(http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1160232&view=rev)
- etc.

Robbie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: public facing CI for the C++ components

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 08/23/2011 09:35 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> - The C++ broker recently started enforcing that exchange.bind
> commands dont use the empty string (though it is throwing the wrong
> exception when it does,
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-3443)

That was me (QPID-3363). I was actually looking at the default-access
rule which doesn't specify the exception to use so I chose the exception
that seemed to me to best fit the rule. Should have thought to check the
field in the bind/unbind commands. I'll correct the exception type.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
It is possible to get packages installed on the Jenkins slave
machines, I have seen several people asking for a bunch of packages on
the builds@apache.org list. The questions would be do those packages
exist for Ubuntu and if so what are they, then whether or not they are
deemed suitable for install on the slaves. Even if we could get
results posted to the notifications list from elsewhere (needs to be
from an apache.org address), it would still be nice if could have a
single dashboard view of the current build state.

Daryyl Pierce was kind enough to offer to help, but as I had to tell
told him it really needs to be a committer so that they can get them
access to Jenkins.

Robbie

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.