Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de> on 2006/08/10 16:12:19 UTC

dublin core revisited

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Doug Chestnut wrote:
>>> Hi Andreas,
>>> My understanding of the dublin core terms (of type element-refinement)
>>> is that they are qualifiers which "enhance the precision" of the
>>> elements.
>>> http://dublincore.org/resources/faq/#dumbdown
>>>
>>> It seems that we are treating the terms as an extended set of
>>> elements.    Perhaps the interface just needs to be changed so that
>>> the term can be selected on the dc element which it refines.
>>>
>>> Perhaps the conf below could reference terms like:
>>>         <element name="abstract" refines="dc:description"/>
>>>         <element name="accessRights" refines="dc:rights"/>
>>>         <element name="alternative" refines="dc:title"/>

i just re-read the dublincore.org site, and i realized that the dc core
recommendations (which few people seem to use as-is) are not especially
clear or even useful in this regard. for a good definition of
two-dimensional qualified metadata, refer to the library working groups'
application profile at
http://dublincore.org/documents/2002/04/16/library-application-profile/

in it's implementation guideline, dublin core does not define fixed
relations between elements and refinements, i.e. you can't say which
element you're refining. that is mind-bogglingly stupid and should be
ignored. probably design-by-committee disease.

for a good real-world implementation, check out the dspace project,
notably http://www.dspace.org/technology/metadata.html. i'd like to see
a similar scheme in lenya.

--
"Open source takes the bullshit out of software."
	- Charles Ferguson on TechnologyReview.com

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier, EDV-Administrator
Institut für Politikwissenschaft

Re: dublin core revisited

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> in it's implementation guideline, dublin core does not define fixed
     ^^^^^^
yuck. i did it again.
"the apostrophe is there to warn the reader that an 's' is coming up."

Re: dublin core revisited

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Comiotto Thomas wrote:
> Hi Jörn, Andi
>
> Might be OT, anyway..
>

> Am 10.08.2006 um 16:12 schrieb Jörn Nettingsmeier:
>>
>> for a good real-world implementation, check out the dspace project,
>> notably http://www.dspace.org/technology/metadata.html. i'd like to see
>> a similar scheme in lenya.
>
> All I'd like to see with regard to the Lenya metadata handling is a
> lightweight abstraction layer providing for a flexible binding of keys
> that must be considered mandatory for the core usecases to function to
> whatever datatypes (n-dimensional, take rdf tripples for instance) an
> integrator might choose to describe her resources - on publication
> level, sourcetype level and even on resource level.
>
> With regard to managing metadata; I'd consider metadata being just
> another sourcetype. GUI bindings/editing of that data should be schema
> driven as "regular" xml resources are too. I don't think a refinement
> approach of otherwise hardwired 1-dimensional datatypes will lead to a
> decent solution.

That's a very interesting idea, and shouldn't be too hard to implement.
Using resource types for meta data could even reduce the complexity
of the code base, since the validation functionality can be reused.

Thanks for the input!

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann
andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org

Re: dublin core revisited

Posted by Comiotto Thomas <th...@unicom.unizh.ch>.
Hi Jörn, Andi

Might be OT, anyway..

Am 10.08.2006 um 16:12 schrieb Jörn Nettingsmeier:

> for a good real-world implementation, check out the dspace project,
> notably http://www.dspace.org/technology/metadata.html. i'd like to see
> a similar scheme in lenya.

All I'd like to see with regard to the Lenya metadata handling is a
lightweight abstraction layer providing for a flexible binding of keys
that must be considered mandatory for the core usecases to function to
whatever datatypes (n-dimensional, take rdf tripples for instance) an
integrator might choose to describe her resources - on publication
level, sourcetype level and even on resource level.

With regard to managing metadata; I'd consider metadata being just
another sourcetype. GUI bindings/editing of that data should be schema
driven as "regular" xml resources are too. I don't think a refinement
approach of otherwise hardwired 1-dimensional datatypes will lead to a
decent solution.

Thanks for keeping up the good work!

--
Best regards