Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org> on 2005/08/05 02:44:31 UTC

Reopening 1.1 Discussions [was: Re: I would like to become Pluto's committer.]

> There was some discussion about pluto refactoring for 1.1 and how we can
> have nice interfaces between pluto and different portals implementations
> using it in Stuttgart, at the portals "Birth of a Feather" session, with
> Carsten, from cocoon portal, Raphael and myself, from Jetspeed, and
> Henning, involved in velocity, turbine, and some other web tools in
> jakarta. Also Noel Bergman was there. He is specially interested in how
> to specify services for portals in a portable way.
>
> I think we can reopen the discussion and invite people from other
> projects using pluto, so that the re-factoring for 1.1 has a nice,
> stable API that allows easy interface with different portals.

Would you mind reopening it by giving us a summary of the specific
things you've discussed. . . .do you (those mentioned above and others)
think that 1.1 as it exists today is a good start to providing a "nice
stable API"? what specific things would you like to refactor? etc. . .

Also, what will it take to get 1.1 moving faster and more community
involved?  IMHO, one of the biggest things holding the refactoring back
is that lack of community involvement and collaboration.  How can we
encourage these discussions (which seem to happen every 6 months or so)
to turn into a stronger community and gain momentum?

David