Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "blatt, lew" <Bl...@emc.com> on 2005/08/03 01:42:52 UTC

[net] looking for solution to FTPClient hang on zOS (m/f platform )

for a week or so i've been investigating the hang during connect when
running commons-net.1.4.0 ftpclient on zOS, connecting to Unix ftpd.
skunking round led me to Bugzilla 31108 "[net] FTP does not work on zos
(ebcdic platform)".  i don't think that's my exact issue but i now suspect
my problem is with the sequence "\r\n".  observing, via some debug, the line
coming back from connect terminating only in '\r' and not "\r\n", i modified
the file FromNetASCIIInputStream.java, changing:

_lineSeparator = System.getProperty("line.separator");

_lineSeparator = "\r";

and connect completed !

can someone explain what's busted here.  is the line.separator property not
configured correctly in my zOS environ ?

thanks, lew