Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Ben A. Geyer" <Ge...@cat.com> on 2002/07/16 18:07:56 UTC

Related Select lists

I have an application that needs to provide a way for a user to drill down
through hierarchical data.  I'd like to do what heavyweight clients are
able to do and relate two select lists to each other.  That way, when a
choice is made from the first select, the options in the second are
filtered to those relating.  ColdFusion has a custom tag which generates a
bunch of Javascript to do this.  I'd like to find the best way to do it
with Struts.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ben Geyer
Caterpillar Inc.

Re: Related Select lists

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
I would output the data into javascript arrays in a JSP. The tags work
just as well mixed in with javascript as they do with html.

Depends what your target browser is. If it includes NS4 you've got more
problems, but otherwise it should be fairly simple - use the onchange
event on the select boxes to rewrite the options in the next select
using the DOM manipulation methods.

Adam