Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu> on 2008/07/12 15:55:16 UTC

releasing the enforcer

I'm not able to reproduce the report issue I saw previously, so I'm
going to tidy up what's here and stage a release, hopefully this
weekend. If anyone wants to try a snapshot and lock down plugins that
has reports, please do...the issue I saw was that when running site, the
plugin failed several reporting plugins saying they didn't have versions
when they did.

RE: releasing the enforcer

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
>I may have missed something - are these values getting populated into
>project.getOriginalModel(), or is that method in some other way
>unsuitable?

originalModel already has versions populated (essentially it's _not_ the
original model). Even if it really was the original model, I still need
to get at the list of plugins that are being executed in the
lifecycle...they wouldn't be specified in the pom in all cases.

Re: releasing the enforcer

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 21/07/2008, at 12:23 PM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> I confirmed my initial hunch but I'm not sure how to fix this the
> right way. Here's what is happening:
>
> The rule gets the list of plugins bound by the default lifecycles
> (additional lifecycles may be specified) and additional Plugins
> specified by the user. It then gets the list of plugins specified in
> the poms by walking the inheritance tree and pulling plugins from
> build.plugins, build.pluginManagement, profiles.plugins,
> profiles.pluginManagement.  (I need to do this because I can't get
> at the original model...plugins already have versions resolved by
> this time, so I can't see what the user did or did not specify).

I may have missed something - are these values getting populated into
project.getOriginalModel(), or is that method in some other way
unsuitable?

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

RE: releasing the enforcer

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I confirmed my initial hunch but I'm not sure how to fix this the right way. Here's what is happening:

The rule gets the list of plugins bound by the default lifecycles (additional lifecycles may be specified) and additional Plugins specified by the user. It then gets the list of plugins specified in the poms by walking the inheritance tree and pulling plugins from build.plugins, build.pluginManagement, profiles.plugins, profiles.pluginManagement.  (I need to do this because I can't get at the original model...plugins already have versions resolved by this time, so I can't see what the user did or did not specify).

Here's the problem: during site execution, the report plugins are injected into the build.plugins list alongside the regular plugins. Since these plugins most likely will not also be specified in build.plugins or build.pluginManagement, the enforcer doesn't find the version and fails.

The simple fix is then to just read the reporting section and check if the version is there, but this isn't really a correct analysis. If a plugin that can be used both as part of the build and as part of reports is used, it could have misleading results. For example if they only specify a version in the reporting section, the enforcer won't fail as it should since I can't tell the difference.

What I really need to do is only compare reporting plugins with the versions specified in the reporting section, but it appears that there is no obvious to tell when a plugin in the list is actually coming from the reporting section. I guess I could attempt to read all those sections and try to guess where it's from, but more reading of the raw poms isn't the best way.

Any other ideas?

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
ok thanks a lot.

RE: releasing the enforcer