Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Tony Collen <tc...@neuagency.com> on 2003/01/09 03:10:22 UTC

[Flow] Looking for docs!

Hi everybody,

I'm working on getting up to speed on the FlowScript in Cocoon.  (Yeah, I
know I'm a slacker...)  I've been digging through the JavaScript in
samples/flow/examples, particularly the "prefs" sample.  I see all sorts
of interesting objects that are floating around that I'm not sure where to
find the documentation on, such as:

var userRegistry =
Packages.samples.flow.prefs.logic.UserRegistry.getUserRegistry();

and thinks like

cocoon.createSession();

are confounding me.  I notice that the UserRegistry.getUserRegistry()
corresponds with the code in the appropriate subdirectory.  I also see
sendPage() and sendPageAndWait(), which I have seen copious amounts of
discussion on the lists about.  Where would be a good place to see a
listing of all the "extra" objects that are available to use in the Flow
javascript?

I of course will document any findings and information I happen to
aggregate as I go along.

Thanks,

Tony

Re: [Flow] Looking for docs!

Posted by Ross Gardler <ro...@saafe.org>.

Ugo Cei wrote:
> Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately Tony, there isn't any documentation for the control
>> flow. Yet!
>

> Well, that's not entirely true, and you should know better: ;-)
>
> http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/archives/000042.html
> http://outerthought.net/gettogether/ (download paper number 10)
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103128978404439&w=2

There's also some stuff on the debug engine at
http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=DebugFlowScripts

Ross

Re: [Flow] Looking for docs!

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> Unfortunately Tony, there isn't any documentation for the control flow.
> Yet!

Well, that's not entirely true, and you should know better: ;-)

http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/archives/000042.html
http://outerthought.net/gettogether/ (download paper number 10)
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103128978404439&w=2

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://www.beblogging.com/blog/

Re: [Flow] Looking for docs!

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.

Re: [Flow] Looking for docs!

Posted by Tony Collen <tc...@neuagency.com>.
On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Tony Collen wrote:

> Got it.  I assume any Java objects can be instantiated this way.  Where
> is the code that defines "Packages" however?  Is it part of Rhino, or is
> it being created elsewhere?  It seems like an odd automatic process...

Never mind about this part... found the docs at
http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/scriptjava.html where it says to use
Packages.*

Regards,

Tony

Re: [Flow] Looking for docs!

Posted by Tony Collen <tc...@neuagency.com>.
On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> Unfortunately Tony, there isn't any documentation for the control flow.
> Yet!

I already started a Flow page on the Wiki... feel free to add whatever.

> I've started a project at work which uses the control flow. I'll
> document the control flow as part of explaining it to my colleagues. In
> the meantime, don't be shy and ask your questions on the mailing list.

Looking forward to reading it all! :)  More comments below...

> > var userRegistry =
> > Packages.samples.flow.prefs.logic.UserRegistry.getUserRegistry();
>
> UserRegistry is a class defined and used by the 'prefs'

Got it.  I assume any Java objects can be instantiated this way.  Where
is the code that defines "Packages" however?  Is it part of Rhino, or is
it being created elsewhere?  It seems like an odd automatic process...

> > and thinks like
> >
> > cocoon.createSession();
>
> 'cocoon' is a special object made available to JavaScript scripts by
> control flow engine. For a list of methods and attributes it has,
> checkout the org.apache.cocoon.components.flow.javascript.JSCocoon
> class.

Found it already.. I seem to be on the right track.  It's funny, I'll post
something to a list, and then two minutes later I'll track down where all
the stuff was... oh well :)

I've tracked down JSCocoon and JSLog.  I've already found how Rhino binds
the specially-named functions in the Java class to methods of the JS
objects.  I now see the a bunch of methods of cocoon such as:

	cocoon.getEnvironment()
	cocoon.getRequest()
	cocoon.getSession()

Along with load(), createSession(), etc.  I'm also able to follow along
with the prefs.js sample.  I do have a few questions about a couple lines
I've found in prefs.js though:

	login = cocoon.request.getParameter("login");
and
	login = cocoon.request.get("login");

a) What's the difference between the two?

b) Where is cocoon.request being created?

> Besides JSCocoon, checkout the system.js file in the same directory
> with JSCocoon. It contains the "special" functions defined by the
> control flow engine.

Bingo.  I see sendPage(), etc.  Thanks for the help & pointers!

Regards,

Tony

Re: [Flow] Looking for docs!

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.

On Wednesday, Jan 8, 2003, at 18:10 US/Pacific, Tony Collen wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm working on getting up to speed on the FlowScript in Cocoon.
> (Yeah, I
> know I'm a slacker...)  I've been digging through the JavaScript in
> samples/flow/examples, particularly the "prefs" sample.  I see all
> sorts
> of interesting objects that are floating around that I'm not sure
> where to
> find the documentation on, such as:
>
> var userRegistry =
> Packages.samples.flow.prefs.logic.UserRegistry.getUserRegistry();

UserRegistry is a class defined and used by the 'prefs' sample.

> and thinks like
>
> cocoon.createSession();

'cocoon' is a special object made available to JavaScript scripts by
control flow engine. For a list of methods and attributes it has,
checkout the org.apache.cocoon.components.flow.javascript.JSCocoon
class.

> are confounding me.  I notice that the UserRegistry.getUserRegistry()
> corresponds with the code in the appropriate subdirectory.  I also see
> sendPage() and sendPageAndWait(), which I have seen copious amounts of
> discussion on the lists about.  Where would be a good place to see a
> listing of all the "extra" objects that are available to use in the
> Flow
> javascript?

Besides JSCocoon, checkout the system.js file in the same directory
with JSCocoon. It contains the "special" functions defined by the
control flow engine.

> I of course will document any findings and information I happen to
> aggregate as I go along.

They'll be surely appreciated.

Best regards,
Ovidiu