Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Danielle Vella <Da...@entrust.com> on 2003/05/14 17:12:03 UTC

Xerces 2.4.0 and Xalan Compatibility

Hi,

I need to package both Xerces and Xalan with my application.  I just
upgraded to from Xerces 1.4.4 to 2.4.0 and noticed that xml-apis.jar is
included.  The Xalan version I'm using is 2.2.D14.  My questions are as
follows: 1) Is it necessary to upgrade my Xalan version? 2) Should I be
picking up xml-apis.jar from Xerces, as opposed to Xalan?

Thanks.

Re: Xerces 2.4.0 and Xalan Compatibility

Posted by Michael Rafael Glavassevich <mr...@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>.
Hi Danielle,

I believe the Xalan team recommends that versions of Xalan be kept in
synch with the version of Xerces that Xalan was tested with. Xalan-J
2.5.0 was tested with Xerces-J 2.4.0, so that's likely the version you'd
want.

In theory xml-apis.jar should be the same throughout all of Apache XML.
For Xerces, this jar is built from XML commons. I believe Xalan does the
same, but if you want to be safe you can download Xalan 2.5.0 from
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/index.html. It should come with everything
you need including Xerces 2.4.0.

Hope that helps.

Michael Glavassevich