Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Jeff Rasmussen <jr...@lnxi.com> on 2003/12/03 18:20:34 UTC

Accessing multiple databases from One Torque Application

	I have the need to access a mysql database and a odbc database from the
same web application,  I have successfully been running the torque with
the mysql db and would like to use torque for both connections. I have
referenced the documentation and have not seen anything addressing this
issue. Any past experience or links to documentation(If I missed it
somewhere) would be greatly appreciated.

	I also could use some in-site on using the JDBC-ODBC bridge driver. I
read on sun's website that this driver should only be used as a last
resort. Does anyone know of a better way to connect to proprietary DB's
through ODBC?

Many Thanks,

Jeff Rasmussen

RE: Accessing multiple databases from One Torque Application

Posted by Ramesh Sabeti <rs...@reazon.com>.
Jeff,

> Did you generate the Torque code for both databases together(Using one
> build.properties file)?

No, I did them separately.

> Does Torque handle the objects the same way for the second DB?
> (Does calling the .save() method on the database objects save to the
> correct database? I don't understand what you use the
> Torque.getConnection("seconddb") line for.)

Actually I use my second database connection differently and don't call
.save().

I think you can make that work by making the "correct setting" in the
build.properties files, but I don't know what that "correct setting"
would be... sorry.  Here's a hint: all Base*Peer.java files have the
following declaration:

	public static final String DATABASE_NAME = "default";

After you make the "correct setting", you should see the second database
name instead of "default" instead.  Once that is made, .save() should
point to the right database.

If I have time I'll dig around some more.  Let us know what you find out
please.

Ramesh.

> Thanks again for your support and the support of the list.
>
> Jeff Rasmussen
>
> On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 11:09, Ramesh Sabeti wrote:
> > This is how I'm doing it:
> >
> > Create another set of entries for your second connection in
> > torque.properties. The first one can remain as the default
connection
> > and the second one would be a named connection.  So if the first one
is:

> > torque.database.default=default
> > torque.database.default.adapter=oracle
> >
> > torque.dsfactory.default.connection.driver =
> > oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver
> > ... followed by the rest of the setup
> >
> > The second one is setup as:

torque.dsfactory.seconddb.factory=org.apache.torque.dsfactory.TorqueData

Posted by Jeff Rasmussen <jr...@lnxi.com>.
Thanks Ramesh.

Just have a few questions about how you did this.

Posted by Ramesh Sabeti <rs...@reazon.com>.
This is how I'm doing it: