Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Tim Hawkins <ti...@bejant.com> on 2009/01/16 16:56:39 UTC

Security Groups in Hadoop-ec2

I have been playing with hadoop-ec2 (src/contrib/ec2) and have found a
minor problem

When a cluster is launched, it creates two security groups and cross
links them, ie for cluster-name xxxx it creates EC2 security groups
xxxx and xxxx-master , the cross-linking is i believe to allow all the
masters and slaves to be able to communicate with each other.

Unfortunately this means that the security groups are now mutually
dependant on each other, and the amazon API will no longer allow them
to be deleted, none of the GUI tools (rightscale, elasticFox, and
consol.aws) or the command-line tools seem to be able to remove the
security groups either, presumably because they too are dependant on
the API.

I believe the solution would be to create 3 security groups, not two,
xxxx, xxxx-slave and xxxx-master , and only inherit permissions from
xxxx into the other two, which would achieve the same result but be
more "friendly". It would also potentially offer the ability for
multiple clusters to share base security descriptors with other
subsystems without having to open publicly accessible holes, by
allowing the name of xxxx to be set independent of the cluster-name,
allowing it to be shared as a base.

I can make this change to the scripts and test it on our set-up, but
am not sure how to contribute the changes back to ensure that this
problem does not effect others.

Re: Security Groups in Hadoop-ec2

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

You can use ec2-revoke to disassociate the groups from each other,
then delete the groups. In fact, the "hadoop-ec2 delete-cluster"
command does exactly this. Does this solve your problem?

Inheriting from a base group might be a useful enhancement - would you
like to start a Jira for this?

Thanks,

Tom

BTW questions about Hadoop on EC2 are best posted to core-user.