Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2007/03/14 12:06:57 UTC

Databinding itest reorg proposal

I think we need to reorg the itest directory for databinding a bit and I
need some help to get the maven bit correct as I'm a bit of a maven novice.
I'm looking at the integration branch at the moment as that is where the
tests are checked in but I don't see why these tests can't go in the trunk
also.

Currently we have:

itest
   databinding
       sdo
       jaxb
       transformers (not sure what this is but assume it tests the data type
transformer logic)

>From previous threads on this subject, [1] and [2], we talked about changing
to something like

itest
   databinding
       generator
       common
       sdo
       jaxb
       interop
       transformers (not sure what this is but assume it tests the data type
transformer logic)

Where common holds xsd, wsdl and files generated from them that are common
between the tests, interop holds tests that look at cross databinding
testing and generator holds a test generator. This chane means moving most
of the WSDL and XML files from where they are now out into common and also
replacing test source files with generated versions.

Interop would depend on sdo and jaxb which in turn depend on common. Can we
do this in maven simply by adding suitable dependency lines in the module
poms. In particular I will need to copy some schema and wsdl files from one
module to another. I notice that various build helper plugins are used in
various poms. Is there a recommended one for  copying resources in from
dependencies.

I have created a test generator to build the test source and configuration
automatically. As we have quite a number of datatypes to tests (potentially
in the 100s) I made some velocity templates to create the 8 files required
by the test. Initially I intended to throw the generator away having run it
but now feel that it might be useful as we extend the tests. So I want to
run it more than once but not every time the test is compiled/run. Is this a
candidate for a maven profile? Or is there another mechanism for runinning
the generator occasionally?

Regards

Simon

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg13947.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg15261.html

Re: svn move, was: Databinding itest reorg proposal

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: Databinding itest reorg proposal

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 3/15/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jean-Sebastien

> > Thanks Jean-Sebastien.
> >
> > This might be useful actually. The direction I took was to add a
> > dependency with common and then unpack common into the test project.
> >
> > I also decided to try out your suggestion of running the test generation
> > every time. Getting everything in the right place at the right time has been
> > interesting and I know a lot more about maven now! There must be easier ways
> > of doing this though.
> >
> > Basically the scheme is that common holds all the XSDs, generation
> > templates and a small program that reads a configuration file and runs the
> > templates. The test projects (i've only been playing with SDO at present -
> > see sdogen) have nothing in them apart from the generation configuration
> > file and the pom. The pom reads the configuration files generates the test,
> > compiles it an runs it.
> >
> > The wrinkle at the moment is that when you change the configuration file
> > to add more types to a test project you have to run maven twice in that test
> > project This is because the test generation step generates the pom itself
> > (the pom directs the SDO generation processing and has to have lines
> > generated into it). The second time you run it you pick up the newly
> > generated pom and the test should run as intended. You then check this new
> > pom and carry on.
> >
> > Looking at your suggested code above I expect we can actually do all the
> > hard work in the generate program and also drive the sdo generation step
> > from here. This would remove the need to generate the pom and hence the need
> > to run maven twice when you update the config file. Anyhow I didn't really
> > want to make a career out of building test generators so it can probably
> > stay as it is for the time being. The next task is to do the real testing.
> >
> > I haven't included this generation stuff in the databindings pom some
> > hopefully you will see no different when running tests at present. You can
> > run it though just by referencing common and sdogen.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Simon
> >

> > I forgot to mention that the reason that so many XML files have suddenly
> appeared is that I've take the files that currently live in /interop and
> renamed and refactored them. Still needs more work but gives us plenty to
> test with. Still have more to pull in from CTS and SDO if we want also. I'm
> not committed to leaving these all in the databindings/common project
> because whatever the final set of XSDs we come up with I'm sure they have
> wider applicability. However my maven skills aren't sufficiently honed to
> get it all to hang together from /interop so we can move them to a more
> suitable place in the future. This is really something we need to do in head
> rather than the integration branch so I'm keeping an open mind at the
> moment. Primarily, having been through them once, I wanted to get a safe

Have been finishing off the databinding itests in the integration branch
(just happened to be where the code was) but would rather that these were
working against the latest code in the trunk. Need to spend some time today
going through and checking which XSDs are actually going to be tested but
after that would like to move this over and try it against the trunk code
and check it in. I'm assuming it can go in the same place i.e.
tuscany/java/itest/databindings. If anyone sees any problems with doing this
let me know.

Regards

Simon

Re: Databinding itest reorg proposal

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
[snip]

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 3/15/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> Comments inline
>
> Raymond Feng wrote:
> > +1.
> >
> > "transformers" could go under "interop" because it's there to test
> > transformations across databindings at the transformer level.
> >

> +1 from me, I'm assuming you meant move the tests currently in
> transformer to interop and not creating interop/transformer.

I'll  look at combining the transformer tests into interop

> Thanks,
> > Raymond
> >
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Simon Laws"
> > <si...@googlemail.com>

I had originally though that parts of the test would have to be hand crafted
but I expect as we add more types this will be impractical so maybe you are
right.

>> Is this a
> >> candidate for a maven profile? Or is there another mechanism for
> >> runinning
> >> the generator occasionally?
> >>

> I was looking for the generator but couldn't find it, can you point us
> to it? Thanks.

Sorry about that. Am trying to check it in at the moment. Was just trying to
work out this resource dependency thing.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Comments inline

Raymond Feng wrote:
> +1.
>
> "transformers" could go under "interop" because it's there to test
> transformations across databindings at the transformer level.

+1 from me, I'm assuming you meant move the tests currently in
transformer to interop and not creating interop/transformer.

> Thanks,
> Raymond
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Simon Laws"
> <si...@googlemail.com>