Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2004/01/02 22:35:16 UTC

RE: Ontology-based portals - RDF, LDAP, Xindice (was: java@apache)

Henri Yandell wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> The next level up is a community. Noel uses the word ontology here,
> but even though I started using this, I don't understand what it is,
> so have gone with something simpler. Easy to s+r out. I've defined a
> community xml file:

You described a portal made of communities, and each community having a
name, logo, members, url, description, projects.

I'm not clear on how you intend to model the (virtual) containment.  For
example, the items you list for a community could also be for a project.
Some of that can be implemented by determining that community's members are
a superset of the union of its projects' members.  So asking the model for a
list of a community's members would be that superset.  But other things are
singleton's, e.g., a portal, a community and a project may each have a
descrpiption, logo, etc., but asking the model for the item would depend
upon which container you were looking at.

As for an ontology (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ontology), we
could start thinking about how we might want to classify things: language,
implemented JSRs, implemented interfaces (e.g., a service provider for JNDI
or JavaMail), implemented RFCs (SMTP, S/MIME), client and/or server
interface (where applicable), etc.  We could also associate items with user
friendly classifications, such as web server, mail server, database server,
CMS, document processor, spreadsheet, etc., build upon the more precise
classifications.

See also: http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/
          http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/
          http://www.daml.org/
          http://www.daml.org/ontologies/ontologies.html
          http://sol1.cps.unizar.es:5080/ANTARCTICA/SRS/

Making some sense?

	--- Noel

RE: help with installing tomcat on unix

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
 (a) check the logs for any messages
 (b) you might want to use tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org

One possibility could be something else blocking that port.

	--- Noel

help with installing tomcat on unix

Posted by "K. A." <kn...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

I'm trying to install tomcat on solaris. I followed the installation instructions including changing the server.xml and web.xml files. However, it still won't run. When I check the default webpage at the port number 8080 it says that page can not be displayed. Does anyone have any idea what else I'm missing?

Thanks.