Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by rashmi maheshwari <ma...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/28 17:25:01 UTC

implement relevency

Hi,

How to get most relevent items on top of search results using solr search?

--
Rashmi
Be the change that you want to see in this world!

Re: implement relevency

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
That's a catch-22 question and the most difficult one. How do you know
they are relevant? Do you have a current base for comparison?

Usually, you do the most basic thing. Then, you watch for what users
are searching for and what they get. You figure out why something is
not right, look at your configuration, figure out a different way to
index the data to match better your search requirements. And iterate
until the unknown point defined as 'success'.

So, short version, just get your first iteration working first. Then
come back here for more specific advice.

Unless you already have done that. In which case, you should have a
more narrow question for the next iteration.

Regards,
   Alex.

at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)

Re: implement relevency

Posted by Utkarsh Sengar <ut...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rashmi,

Relevancy needs some kind of training data which can lead to a chicken and
egg problem. If you dont have that training set, then you need to come up
with it or train manually (provide some seed).
Our existing search had 2 years worth clickstream data, i.e. we know if
someone searches for "ipod" they clicked on a UPC which was an iPod 4th gen
or an iPod 5th gen 32GB etc.

So, we have used that data to build an internal lookup table of millions of
queries which look something like this:

ipod 32gb -> music^1000, apple^1000, 32gb^991, 8gb^800....

We wrote an algorithm which computes the "keyword relevancy score" which is
used as the boost value.
Now, when a query like "ipod 32gb" comes in, we lookup this table, get the
boost values and query solr with these boost values and its score.

We are happy with the results. Our usecase was product search
(title+description) of about 60M documents, not sure how will this approach
work with a different usecase.

Thanks,
-Utkarsh

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM, tamanjit.bindra@yahoo.co.in <