Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Remigiusz Samborski <rs...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/24 07:44:05 UTC

Svn client ignoring umask

Hello.
We are using subversion in many website projects. Lately our servers where updated to use suExec
PHP. suExec requires that php files have permissions 644 - no write permission for group or other.

Svn client which is used to update and checkout websites keeps creating files with wrong
permissions. We need to manually change back to proper permissions. For instance:

# ls -l index.php
-rw-r--r--    1 perpedes perpedes     3060 Oct 23 18:34 index.php
# rm index.php
# umask
0022
# svn update
Restored 'index.php'
At revision 18.
# ls -l index.php
-rw-rw-r--    1 perpedes perpedes     3060 Oct 23 18:40 index.php
      ^ - the group write bit keeps getting set

The problem occurs only when 'svn update' creates new files. Modified files keep proper permissions.
We are using svn+ssh repository access method. I tried looking for answers, but without any luck.
Any help will be appreciated.

--
Best regards,
Remigiusz Samborski

NetShock.pl - Rozwiązania internetowe
ul. Gabrieli Zapolskiej 1/405
50-032 Wrocław
http://NetShock.pl - tel. (071) 710 47 66

Re: Svn client ignoring umask

Posted by Remigiusz Samborski <rs...@gmail.com>.
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Do you get the same behavior if you first check out a brand new working
> copy?
>
> How are the permissions of the pristine files in .svn/text-base/?
>
> Version of Subversion? OS?

I get the same behavior when doing a new checkout. Subversion version:
    svn, version 1.4.3 (r23084)
    compiled Feb  6 2007, 23:33:53

System is Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. The files in .svn/text-base are set to 444, but the directory
itself has permissions of 775.

I noticed that I get this kind of behavior only on this server. Other servers check out files with
proper permissions. The host, on which the permissions are set incorrectly is also the one that
stores the repositories. I connect using ssh+svn on an external IP address, so the localization of
the repositories shouldn't matter - or does it?

The files in repositories have permissions set to 664 - I use system groups to grant permissions to
specific repositories (svnserve-over-SSH).

Best regards,
Remigiusz Samborski

Re: Svn client ignoring umask

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.