Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Gavin Bong <Ga...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/10 07:12:05 UTC

Apache license question

If I write another piece of software using some code from apache derby, and
license the derivative work under Apache license; what do I need to add in
the header of the source code ?

What I am thinking of doing:
a) Include the original license file from the source file.
b) Include as comments, a description of the changes made e.g. change
package address to my local package.

Is this sufficient? Did I violate anything?

Thanks

Re: Apache license question

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Finally spotted Rick Hillegas' fine response to this question [1] -- far
more complete than what I hastily popped off.

 -jean

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Apache-license-question-p14737952.html

Re: Apache license question

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Re: Apache license question

Posted by Gavin Bong <Ga...@gmail.com>.

Rick Hillegas-2 wrote:

> very useful summary section titled "I'm not a lawyer. What does it all
> MEAN?". The FAQ page ends with the following paragraph:

Thanks Rick. That section is very useful indeed.

Following the Derby distribution; I've just created a NOTICE file with the
following contents.
And I'll be including the license snippet inside each of my source files.

----START----
==  NOTICE file corresponding to section 4(d) of the Apache License,   ==
==  Version 2.0, in this case for the "Scalaify eclipse plugin".  ==

Scalaify eclipse plugin
Copyright 2007 Gavin Bong

This product includes software developed by

(1) "Scalaify.java" is based on (may include) code of
    org.apache.derby.ui.popup.actions.AddDerbyNature
    (Apache Derby distribution).

(2) "SelectionUtil.java" is a carbon copy of
    org.apache.derby.ui.util.SelectionUtil (Apache
    Derby distribution); except that the package name
    has been modified.
----END------

Regards,

Gavin

Re: Apache license question

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Gavin,

You may find the answers you need here: http://www.apache.org/licenses/
In particular, that page points at a useful FAQ:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html The FAQ addresses the
issue of using the Apache license for your own code. The FAQ also has a
very useful summary section titled "I'm not a lawyer. What does it all
MEAN?". The FAQ page ends with the following paragraph:

"If you have a question specifically about the Apache license or
distribution of Apache software, and it has not been answered by this
page, you may send a message to <hu...@Apache.Org>  requesting
clarification. Note: If you send a question that is answered by the
information on this page your message may be IGNORED."

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Gavin Bong wrote:
> If I write another piece of software using some code from apache derby, and
> license the derivative work under Apache license; what do I need to add in
> the header of the source code ?
>
> What I am thinking of doing:
> a) Include the original license file from the source file.
> b) Include as comments, a description of the changes made e.g. change
> package address to my local package.
>
> Is this sufficient? Did I violate anything?
>
> Thanks

RE: Apache license question

Posted by de...@segel.com.
You have to look at the Apache license agreement.

Apache has one of the most liberal license agreements. Essentially you can
take apache licensed code and do whatever you want with it. You do have to
document that your derivative work contains apache code, so you'll need to
review the license to see the actual requirements.

I think if you have any written docs you'll need to mention it there as
well.