Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/06 16:25:25 UTC

Releasing maven-release-plugin 2.0-beta-7

Hi,

There's only one remaining issue, MRELEASE-83, scheduled for
2.0-beta-7 - is anyone likely to work on this soon, or shall we defer
it until beta-8?  I would like to see beta-7 released for the release
POM fixes - they're rather unusable in beta-6.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Releasing maven-release-plugin 2.0-beta-7

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 09 July 2007 04:37, Mark Hobson wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I'm not overly familiar with that side of the release plugin, so if
> someone else fancies reviewing the changes.  Does this affect
> MRELEASE-83 at all?  Since that's the only unresolved issue scheduled
> for 2.0-beta-7.

Nope.   Doesn't touch that side.

However, I cannot reproduce MRELEASE-83.     I cannot see how, but that
may be SCM specific.   For my SVN stuff, when I ran:

mvn release:prepare -Dusername=dkulp -Dpassword=XXXXXX

all the svn commands had the correct flags:

svn --username dkulp --password ***** --non-interactive status
svn --username dkulp --password ***** --non-interactive \
     commit --file /tmp/maven-scm-872347461.commit \
     --targets /tmp/maven-scm-63296-targets
svn --username dkulp --password ***** --non-interactive \
     copy --file /tmp/maven-scm-668401696.commit .   \
     http://url/to/repo/tag
svn --username dkulp --password ***** --non-interactive \
     commit --file /tmp/maven-scm-506104864.commit \
     --targets /tmp/maven-scm-63297-targets

and for mvn release:perform:
svn --username dkulp --password ***** --non-interactive checkout \
     http://url/to/repo/tag checkout

Dan

> Cheers,
>
> Mark
>
> On 07/07/07, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Mark,
> >
> > I just committed a start of a fix for this problem.
> >
> > To not require a new release of plexus-utils, I copied a little bit
> > out of CommandLineUtils and into ForkedMavenExecutor for now.
> > Longer term, that code should go back into plexus-utils (I'm not a
> > committer there).
> >
> > I've done some basic testing and things seem to work much better.
> > gpg plugin properly asks for it's password.   gpg output is
> > displayed. etc....
> >
> > This MAY also fix MRELEASE-93.  Not sure.   However, switching to
> > the raw streams from the line based buffered IO SHOULD fix that.  I
> > haven't actually tried that yet.
> >
> > In any case, could someone more familiar with the code do a quick
> > review on it to make sure it's OK?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Dan
> >
> > On Saturday 07 July 2007 10:52, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > > Mark,
> > >
> > > I was looking into the problems with the GPG plugin when run from
> > > the release plugin and the problems seem to entirely be problems
> > > of the release plugin and Plexus utils.   They are showing up in
> > > the gpg plugin, but any plugin that tries to do anything
> > > interactively would most likely run into the same problems.
> > >
> > > Issues:
> > > 1) System.in - the release manager doesn't feed anything from
> > > System.in into the forked process.  I tried adding System.in to
> > > the CommandLineUtils.executeCommandLine call, but that just causes
> > > a hang. CommandLineUtils will wait until the "in" stream is
> > > completely consumed (returns -1) before returning.   With
> > > System.in, that never will happen.
> > >
> > > 2) Buffered(line style) out - the StreamPumpers use
> > > BufferedInputStream.readLine() to pump from one stream to the
> > > other. This won't work.   Anything that does something (like the
> > > release plugin itself) that prompts and then waits for a response
> > > on the same line will appear to just "hang" as the prompt will
> > > never make it to the screen.
> > >
> > > Basically, those two issues completely prevent us from being able
> > > to un-hard code GPG passphrases from build scripts and such.
> > > (unless you set gpg.useagent to true and use an agent)
> > >
> > > In anycase, MGPG-9 is really a release plugin bug although part of
> > > it is due to plexus-utils not providing the support it would need
> > > to work properly.    Most likely, we'll need to add a method in
> > > CommandLineUtils that would just take the raw streams (in/out/err)
> > > and do straight byte copy reads without the line buffering.  (and
> > > once the process completely, stop pumping the in stream)   (of
> > > course, that would then require another plexus-utils release and
> > > then the release plugin would only work with Maven 2.0.6+ with the
> > > utils shaded, but that may be minor)   I'll poke around more and
> [...]

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: Releasing maven-release-plugin 2.0-beta-7

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Mark,

> [...]

> properly.    Most likely, we'll need to add a method in
> CommandLineUtils that would just take the raw streams (in/out/err) and
> do straight byte copy reads without the line buffering.  (and once the
> process completely, stop pumping the in stream)   (of course, that
> would then require another plexus-utils release and then the release
> plugin would only work with Maven 2.0.6+ with the utils shaded, but
> that may be minor)   I'll poke around more and see if I can come up
> with something.
>

> Dan
>
> On Friday 06 July 2007 10:25, Mark Hobson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > There's only one remaining issue, MRELEASE-83, scheduled for
> > 2.0-beta-7 - is anyone likely to work on this soon, or shall we
> > defer it until beta-8?  I would like to see beta-7 released for the
> > release POM fixes - they're rather unusable in beta-6.

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: Releasing maven-release-plugin 2.0-beta-7

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Mark,

I was looking into the problems with the GPG plugin when run from the
release plugin and the problems seem to entirely be problems of the
release plugin and Plexus utils.   They are showing up in the gpg
plugin, but any plugin that tries to do anything interactively would
most likely run into the same problems.

Issues:
1) System.in - the release manager doesn't feed anything from System.in
into the forked process.  I tried adding System.in to the
CommandLineUtils.executeCommandLine call, but that just causes a hang.
CommandLineUtils will wait until the "in" stream is completely consumed
(returns -1) before returning.   With System.in, that never will happen.

2) Buffered(line style) out - the StreamPumpers use
BufferedInputStream.readLine() to pump from one stream to the other.
This won't work.   Anything that does something (like the release plugin
itself) that prompts and then waits for a response on the same line will
appear to just "hang" as the prompt will never make it to the screen.

Basically, those two issues completely prevent us from being able to
un-hard code GPG passphrases from build scripts and such.   (unless you
set gpg.useagent to true and use an agent)

In anycase, MGPG-9 is really a release plugin bug although part of it is
due to plexus-utils not providing the support it would need to work
properly.    Most likely, we'll need to add a method in CommandLineUtils
that would just take the raw streams (in/out/err) and do straight byte
copy reads without the line buffering.  (and once the process
completely, stop pumping the in stream)   (of course, that would then
require another plexus-utils release and then the release plugin would
only work with Maven 2.0.6+ with the utils shaded, but that may be
minor)   I'll poke around more and see if I can come up with something.

Dan

On Friday 06 July 2007 10:25, Mark Hobson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There's only one remaining issue, MRELEASE-83, scheduled for
> 2.0-beta-7 - is anyone likely to work on this soon, or shall we defer
> it until beta-8?  I would like to see beta-7 released for the release
> POM fixes - they're rather unusable in beta-6.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer