Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2014/03/24 19:06:22 UTC

Logging/cachedoutputstream defaults for 3.0....

I’d like some thoughts on changing a couple of defaults for 3.0.

We currently have the default size for when the CachedOutputStream flips from in-memory to using a file store set at 64K.   This was chosen as the default a long time ago.

In the Logging interceptors we, by default, only log up to the first 100K of the message.

Up until this past Friday, the LoggingInterceptors would cache the entire message so flipping to a file during logging wasn’t a serious issue as we’d already have to flip to the file to cache the whole message.  However, on Firday, I changed the logging stuff to only cache the “limit” and then stream the rest.   Thus, we’re now in a situation where for messages more than 64K, we’ll create a 100K file for the cache, log it, then the 100K file gets fairly quickly deleted as the message is processed/consumed.

So, the question is:   do those defaults still make sense?

There are two thoughts:
1) 64K is relatively small nowadays.   That value has been there for a VERY VERY long time, but in the mean time, people’s VM’s are now much larger.   Increasing this to 128K or so may make some sense.   That could speed up some other usage of the CachedOutputStream as well.    Downside is increased memory usage.

2) 100K logging is a lot.  Seriously.   I’m not sure how much “extra” information we get from logging 100K compared to say 32K or even smaller.

What are peoples thoughts about changing those value for 3.0?   I think the first one makes a lot of sense now.   If 64K was OK 5 years ok, I would think 128K would be OK now.   Not really sure on the second one.   Thoughts?

--
Daniel Kulp