Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Balaji Chandrasekaran <cb...@virtusa.com> on 2006/03/07 08:06:39 UTC

jsp layout/decorations

Hi all,

I want all my layouts and decorations to be done using jsp.Does Jetspeed
2 support this feature.

Please respond.

Regards,

Balaji C

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is intended for the addressee only. Any unauthorized disclosure, use, dissemination, copying, or distribution of this message or any of its attachments or the information contained in this e-mail, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this message.

Re: jsp layout/decorations

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Yes and no. Jetspeed does not support jsp based layout/decoration
template out of box. At first you will need to write your on
templates. Last time I checked, I found the logic for using Velocity
templates was had coded some where in Layout portlets. Therefore, you
will also need to modify the Layout portlet(s) for using jsp based
decorations/templates.

Regards,

Raj

Re: jsp layout/decorations

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@gmail.com>.
AFAIK, no one has implemented JSP based decorators yet.

I am hoping to do so when I get some time, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
It shouldn't be too difficult, but as Raj pointed out, I think that some
assumptions were made with regards to velocity.

I was actually looking at the portlet decorator last night because I needed
to suppress the minimize/maximize actions.  AFAIK, there is no way to
configure this, so I had to put in a velocity hack.   In examining the
backing Java classes, I found that even parts of the API have velocity in
the package name! (eg. org.apache.jetspeed.velocity.DecoratorAction).
However, I'm not sure why at least some of this API couldn't be made generic
so it could be used for JSPs as well...

While we're on the subject, I think that there are two things that would
reduce a lot of developer's frustrations with the velocity decorators:

1. Finish the documentation for it.  It is a good start and definitely
helped me a lot, but it doesn't even talk about portlet decorators.

2. Put helpful comments in the example decorators.  For example, the
defineObjects macro i in a typical header.vm:

#* Add the current layouts configuration values to the context *#
#defineLayoutObjects()

Sure, it tells me a bit about what it is doing, but what would be
reallyhelpful is if there was also a comment that said "BTW, this
macro is defined
in /WEB-INF/jetspeed_macros.vm".  I for one, would have never thought to
look there until I saw it in the documentation.

Or the portlet decorator, maybe in the decorator.properties, there should be
a comment that says "by default, the velocity template located at
decorations/portlet/decorator.vm is used unless you put your own
decorator.vm in this directory."

And here's a question, how come with the layout decorator, I can define a
macro file using template.macros=-macros that seems to add to available
macros (doesn't replace jetspeed_macros.vm), but I can't do this for the
portlet decorator?

Anyhow Raj, I'm sure if you implemented JSP based ones, you would gain a
large and loyal following. ;-)

Re: jsp layout/decorations

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Balaji,

It does not prevent you from using JSP, but all of the example in the
system are based on Velocity.

This is a common request, but the J2 developers are relying on the
community to supply the JSP HowTo. Please scan the lists and possibly
JIRA to see if you can find a working example.

Randy