Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2014/10/20 06:49:19 UTC

[VOTE] Log4j 2.1 rc4

This is a vote to release Log4j 2.1, the next version of the Log4j 2 project.

Please download, test, and cast your votes.
[] +1, release the artifacts
[] -1, don't release because...

The vote will remain open for 72 hours (or more if required). All votes are welcome, but only Logging PMC votes are “officially” counted. As always, at least 3 +1 votes are required.

Changes in this release:

New features:
o LOG4J2-868:  Add ShutdownCallbackRegistry interface for customizable shutdown callback handling. This is particularly
        useful for application servers that wish to integrate with Log4j 2.
o LOG4J2-589:  Supported filtering on custom log levels in configuration.
o LOG4J2-856:  Documentation: add sections on the JUL Adapter, IO Streams and NoSQL Appenders to the Maven and Ivy page.
o LOG4J2-848:  Add a Java lookup to provide nicely formatted runtime version information.
o LOG4J2-809:  Move reflection utility class to API's private utility classes.
o LOG4J2-833:  Documentation: added Runtime Dependencies link to left nav-bar on site.
o LOG4J2-816:  Documentation: added section on XInclude to user manual Configuration page.
o LOG4J2-547:  Add the Log4j IOStreams component.
o LOG4J2-431:  Added Memory-Mapped File Appender. Thanks to Claude Mamo.
o LOG4J2-827:  Support use of TypeConverter classes through the standard Plugin system.
o LOG4J2-825:  Add simple validation constraint annotations for the Plugin system.
o LOG4J2-428:  Implement a GELF layout. Thanks to Mark Paluch.
o LOG4J2-608:  Add java.util.logging implementation based on log4j-api. See log4j-jul documentation for more details.
o LOG4J2-793:  Add support for custom SLF4J Markers in log4j-slf4j-impl module.
o LOG4J2-771:  Add lookup for application main arguments.
o LOG4J2-787:  Add lookup for JVM arguments.

Fixed Bugs:
o LOG4J2-676:  Some typo fixes and enhancements for the site. Thanks to Stefan Bodewig.
o LOG4J2-866:  Documentation: fixed missing closing parenthesis in code example. Thanks to Gerard Weatherby.
o LOG4J2-862:  Fixed classloader issue that prevented Log4j from finding the implementation when used in a custom Ant task. Thanks to Michael Sutherland.
o LOG4J2-861:  Documentation: fix broken links on left navigation Extending Log4j Configuration sub-menu.
o LOG4J2-797:  Documentation: clarified why log4j-core is a compile time dependency in Maven and Ivy page. Thanks to Andreas Rytina.
o LOG4J2-855:  Documentation: fix broken links on Appenders manual page.
o LOG4J2-807:  Prevent NPE when configuration with AsyncLogger/AsyncRoot is reloaded.
o LOG4J2-678:  Documentation: fixed minor issues with Log4j2 web site/documentation. Thanks to Matt Sicker.
o LOG4J2-843:  Migrate JpaHyperSqlAppenderTest JUnit performance test to log4j-perf.
o LOG4J2-842:  Migrate JpaH2AppenderTest JUnit performance test to log4j-perf.
o LOG4J2-841:  Migrate JdbcHyperSqlAppenderTest JUnit performance test to log4j-perf.
o LOG4J2-840:  Migrate JdbcH2AppenderTest JUnit performance test to log4j-perf.
o LOG4J2-830:  Respect external interrupt signal to allow application shutdown after joining AsyncAppender thread.
o LOG4J2-813:  MarkerManager Log4jMarker.hasParents() returns opposite of correct result. Thanks to David Erichsen, Brandon Barry.
o LOG4J2-785:  Documentation: fixed capitalization inconsistency in user manual example config.
o LOG4J2-829:  Fixed issue in RollingFile filePattern: backslashes are path separators, not escape characters.
o LOG4J2-832:  ThrowableProxy fails if a class in logged stack trace throws java.lang.Error from initializer Thanks to Seth Leger.
o LOG4J2-745:  Avoid ConverterKey plugin clashes by using a more predictable plugin loading infrastructure.
        Plugins have been segmented into three parts: class path, user-specified packages, and OSGi bundles. Thanks to Scott Harrington.
o LOG4J2-798:  Fixed plugin scanning redundancy causing massive slowdowns in certain environments. Thanks to Scott Harrington.
o LOG4J2-753:  Reduced CachedClock thread contention.
o LOG4J2-819:  Fixed memory leak in Tomcat 6 caused by clock background threads unintentionally
        started by Tomcat after web application stop. Thanks to Gary Gregory.
o LOG4J2-391:  FlumePersistentManager now handles LockConflictExceptions in Berkeley Db when sending a batch. Thanks to Kamal Bahadur.
o LOG4J2-782:  Remove invalid Oracle Maven repository.
o LOG4J2-796:  Fixed issue where log4j-to-slf4j did not work correctly with SLF4J Simple Logger.
o LOG4J2-811:  SimpleLogger throws ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException for an empty array. Thanks to Yogesh Rao.
o LOG4J2-663:  Fix OSGi Import-Package problem with the JMS API. Thanks to Florian Brunner.
o LOG4J2-783:  PatternLayout should use platform character encoding by default, not UTF-8. Thanks to Minglei Lee.

Changes:
o LOG4J2-845:  Add 2.1.0 to compatible versions in Log4j API ProviderUtil and update Log4jAPIVersion to 2.1.0 in
        core META-INF/log4j-provider.properties.
o LOG4J2-844:  Update JMH to 1.1 from 0.7.2.
o LOG4J2-831:  Documentation: updated FAQ "which jars" diagrams for JUL bridge and 2.1 version.
o LOG4J2-780:  Update Spring Framework to 3.2.11.RELEASE from 3.2.8.RELEASE.
o LOG4J2-815:  Unify the two JMS appenders into a single appender. Configurations written for 2.0 will still work in 2.1+.
o LOG4J2-790:  Update Jackson to 2.4.2 from 2.4.1 (for XML and JSON processing).
o LOG4J2-766:  Incomplete documentation for JSONLayout. Thanks to Bruno P. Kinoshita.
o LOG4J2-800:  All life cycle implementations should be serializable.
        This is still work in progress.
o LOG4J2-801:  org.apache.logging.log4j.core.Logger should be serializable.
        This is still work in progress.
o LOG4J2-810:  Update javax.mail to 1.5.2 from 1.5.0.
o LOG4J2-822:  Update org.eclipse.persistence.jpa to 2.5.2 from 2.5.1.
o LOG4J2-867:  FlumeAppender: maxDelay not in seconds, but milliseconds.
        Add time scale to some settings, for example maxDelayMillis instead of maxDelay.
        The old names are aliased for compatibility.

Tag: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-log4j2.git;a=tree;hb=d2d77db8e0fddae4fc4fa0f968ceea70f74c3af4 <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-log4j2.git;a=tree;hb=d2d77db8e0fddae4fc4fa0f968ceea70f74c3af4>

Web Site: http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/ <http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/>

Artifacts: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1011/ <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1011/>
You may download all the artifacts by executing:

wget -e robots=off --cut-dirs=7 -nH -r -p -np --no-check-certificate https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1011/org/apache/logging/log4j/ <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1011/org/apache/logging/log4j/>
Ralph

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.1 rc4

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
Re-sending, this time with reply-all.

+1

Site looks good, artifacts look good.

I was impressed seeing the Clirr report in action for the API module for
the first time. Very nice!

Minor issues with the site, none of them showstoppers:

* On the Appenders page, the docs for MemoryMappedFileAppender mention "New
since 2.1-beta." Should just be 2.1... I missed that.

* The Layouts page does not mention the new GELF layout.

* The left-hand navigation bar for Layouts does not have a link to
JSONLayout

* Javadoc is in the Java 6 format (I thought we did something to make it
use the nicer looking Java 8 format?)

* The Configuration manual page is wider than normal and displays a
horizontal scrollbar.

  I suspect this is because in the System Properties table the Default
Value org.apache.logging.log4j.jul.ApiLoggerAdapter cannot be wrapped over
multiple lines.

* On the Build page, the comment in italics below the title has the same
color as links, but it is not a link. Bit confusing.

* (Personal taste perhaps:) On the Runtime Dependencies page, the warnings
against combining log4j-slf4j-impl with log4j-to-slf4j have a very light
color that makes them a bit hard to read and does not stand out very much.
I would prefer a color that contrasts more with the white background. Red
bold-face like on the webapp manual page would work for me. :-)

* (Enhancement, not a problem:) The convenience of creating custom log
levels in Log4j2 should be mentioned in the About page and the Manual
Introduction page as one of the advantages of Log4j 2. (In log4j 1 users
had to create a subclass.)

Minor issues with the Manual PDF:

* The Configuration page has a code example for advertisers that exceeds
the page width.

* The Configuration page's table with System Properties exceeds the page
width.

I've created LOG4J2-879 for the above improvements.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.1 rc4

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Note to reviewers: the KEYS file is here:
https://www.apache.org/dist/logging/KEYS

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.1 rc4

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
So far so good, I am still reviewing but I got a possibly "random" failure:

testStructured(org.apache.logging.log4j.flume.appender.FlumeAppenderTest)
Time elapsed: 6.012 sec  <<< ERROR!
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.AppenderLoggingException: No Flume
agents are available
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.flume.appender.FlumeAvroManager.send(FlumeAvroManager.java:178)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.flume.appender.FlumeAppender.append(FlumeAppender.java:106)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.AppenderControl.callAppender(AppenderControl.java:99)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.LoggerConfig.callAppenders(LoggerConfig.java:430)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.LoggerConfig.log(LoggerConfig.java:409)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.LoggerConfig.log(LoggerConfig.java:367)
        at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.Logger.logMessage(Logger.java:112)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.spi.AbstractLogger.logIfEnabled(AbstractLogger.java:685)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.EventLogger.logEvent(EventLogger.java:46)
        at
org.apache.logging.log4j.flume.appender.FlumeAppenderTest.testStructured(FlumeAppenderTest.java:169)

I imagine this has to do with the load on my machine which can be high as I
let the build run in the background while I do other work.

I ran the tests from the Flume module only and it passed. Go figure. I
re-ran the whole Log4j test suite and it worked.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.1 rc4

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.1 rc4

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Before starting the release build I do “mvn -P apache-release clean
>> install”. This builds the distribution. I verify that all the parts are
>> there (we were missing jul and iostreams in this release). I don’t look at
>> the license or notice files any more since they are just copied from what
>> is in SVN.
>>
>> I then build the site and navigate to each of the components and look at
>> the rat report on the web site.  This is very tedious but the only way I
>> know of to properly perform the check.  I also glance at the checkstyle
>> reports and note that I must be the only one whoever looks at them given
>> the number of errors reported.
>>

> WRT RAT, we can fix the build post 2.1 to get RAT to run from the CLI. The
> parent POM needs at least one exclude or a fixed file.

For the next go around (trunk - 2.1.1 and beyond)  you can now do "mvn
apache-rat:check" (in git).

Gary

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.1 rc4

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.1 rc4

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.1 rc4

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Here is my +1.  We still need 1 more +1 from a PMC member.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.1 rc4

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1