Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Piyush Chugh <Pi...@otpp.com> on 2004/03/05 16:55:03 UTC

[users@httpd] unable to start piped log program

Hey folks,

I am trying to get apache log rotation working in apache 2.0.47 on windows
box and I get this error:

C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2>bin\apache -f conf\httpd.conf
unable to start piped log program ' bin\rotatelogs logs/access_log 86400'
: The system cannot find the file specified.
Unable to open logs

Here is what my roatelog command in config file looks like:
     CustomLog "| bin\rotatelogs logs\access_log 86400" common

Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks!

- Pi

Re: [users@httpd] unable to start piped log program

Posted by Piyush Chugh <Pi...@otpp.com>.
I tried both forward and backslashes already. Apache/windows resolves the
forward and backward slashes automatically... so the backslash is not an
"escape" command in windows.

Cheers,

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Piyush Chugh wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I am trying to get apache log rotation working in apache 2.0.47 on windows
> box and I get this error:
>
> C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2>bin\apache -f conf\httpd.conf
> unable to start piped log program ' bin\rotatelogs logs/access_log 86400'
> : The system cannot find the file specified.
> Unable to open logs
>
> Here is what my roatelog command in config file looks like:
>      CustomLog "| bin\rotatelogs logs\access_log 86400" common
>
> Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks!

Start by using forward slashes rather than back-slashes.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] unable to start piped log program

Posted by Jez Hancock <je...@munk.nu>.
On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:55:03AM -0500, Piyush Chugh wrote:
> I am trying to get apache log rotation working in apache 2.0.47 on windows
> box and I get this error:
>
> C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2>bin\apache -f conf\httpd.conf
> unable to start piped log program ' bin\rotatelogs logs/access_log 86400'
> : The system cannot find the file specified.
> Unable to open logs
>
> Here is what my roatelog command in config file looks like:
>      CustomLog "| bin\rotatelogs logs\access_log 86400" common

What about using absolute pathnames to the files?

CustomLog "| 'c:\program files\apache group\apache2\bin\rotatelogs' 'c:\program files\apache group\apache2\logs\access_log' 86400" common

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer

http://munk.nu/
http://jez.hancock-family.com/  - Another FreeBSD Diary
http://ipfwstats.sf.net/        - ipfw peruser traffic logging

Re: [users@httpd] unable to start piped log program

Posted by Piyush Chugh <Pi...@otpp.com>.
Thanks eveyone for your response. None of them worked by themselves, but a
combination of them did! Here is the config that works.

Config file:
CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs.exe logs/access_log 86400" common

Command line run:
C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2>bin\apache -f conf\httpd.conf

In short, what I can see is that apache2 has gone back to it's Unix roots
even for the windows install. Notice that the forward slashes are used in
the conf file. And, it is important to use 'rotatelogs.exe' and not just
'rotatelogs', because in a Unix sense, there is no thing as default
executable file. Also in the command line, notice the relative pathing I
had to use.

Thank you everyone for the prompt reply!

Cheers,
-Pi