Posted to dev@steve.apache.org by Ray Ma <de...@rayma.me> on 2019/09/15 01:57:38 UTC

Introduction & Offer of Assistance

Hi Apache STeVe,

I'm Ray, new to the STeVe community.

I've been browsing the ASF Projects Directory lately (mainly to find
something to do, I guess), and found STeVe. The project looks like it
could definitely use a hand
(No offense intended at all, you guys are providing great software for
free :-)). So naturally, I want to help out.

Currently, there are issues on Jira that are preventing further
development and new developer engagement. Quite a few of them have
patches attached, like STEVE-30, have quite serious issues that would
discourage new developers from committing themselves to the Project.
If we could get those changes reviewed & merged, maybe the project
could attract new developers. I assume we'd want this to happen, since
this is a TLP that's plans to have a release next year (Info from the
STeVe board report at whimsy.a.o) and not just a service for ASF uses
only.

If we could review the patches already available and merge/modify
them, we could also then get on to issues without such patches and get
rid of some of the years-old issues on Jira.

I don't consider myself "senior" enough to review STeVe patches, since
I just showed up today. Many people in the OSS scene say that anyone
can review, but in reality, many don't due to fear of denial.

I really didn't want to sound like an entitled arrogant idiot, but I
feel like I did anyhow. Sincere apologies if I sounded that way. I
just love the initiatives of this project and feel like I should help.

Regards,
Ray Ma

Re: Introduction & Offer of Assistance

Posted by Ray Ma <de...@rayma.me>.
Hey Jim,

Sorry for not waiting for the reply. I already went ahead and attached
my patches to the respective Jira tickets (STEVE-5 and STEVE-47). I
should really be more patient next time round :|

Thanks,
Ray

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Jira please :)