Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Matthew McCullough <ma...@ambientideas.com> on 2010/02/06 01:33:57 UTC

Maven Archetype 1.0 to 2.0 variations question on CLI interactive prompt

I spoke with Wendy on IRC today about fixing some archetypes, but there were some more questions lingering.  I'm aiming to fix a few things in the "core" apache archetypes...

I want to try to weave a freshened maven-archetype-j2ee-simple into the new 'sample' directory of trunk's archetype plugin, but I'm a bit puzzled looking at the code.

The motivator is that the 1.0 version of the maven-archetype-j2ee-simple is the latest one in central, linked via archetype-catalog.xml (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/archetype/trunk/archetype-common/src/main/resources/archetype-catalog.xml?view=markup), but is broken because it is missing the required 'site' directory.  I'm seeing buzz about it (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1082012/maven-archetype-j2ee-simple-generates-a-failing-project) that is making Maven look unmaintained (and I try to fix things, when I can) like http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/ARCHETYPE-228 which was created a year ago with no commiter responses.

I wasn't seeing the maven-archetype-j2ee-simple in the archetype plugin trunk code.

Wendy pointed out it was in the 1.0 branch (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/archetype/branches/archetype-1.0.x/maven-archetype-bundles/) and NOT migrated to trunk (2.0-alpha-4, http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/archetype/trunk/)

Wendy noted: "It all changed with archetype 2.0 and I don't think all the archetypes came back.  now they get generated from samples or something."

Can anyone elaborate on the above statement?  Any docs/wiki/nabble links on the rewrite and new way to use 'samples'?

When I use mvn archetype:generate (2.0-alpha-4) via the interactive CLI menu, it appears to only use the old 1.0 archetypes in the http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/archetypes/maven-archetype-quickstart/ directory, and not the 'samples' that live in the trunk of the archetype plugin code. Where do the new samples live in central and how would I get archetype:generate to use one of those new ones in 'samples', like the 2.0-alpha-4 of quickstart http://github.com/apache/maven-archetype/tree/trunk/archetype-samples/quickstart/ ?