Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by nerb <ne...@muclab.de> on 2004/09/09 18:39:22 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_proxy (ProxyPass, ProxyRemote) and mod_ssl (https)

Hello everybody,
hopefully, this is not a dumb question, not the wrong forum,
but I haven't found anything on the web by now...

I am using apache2 with mod_proxy, which works fine:
I can setup apache2 to act as a reverse proxy for http
using ProxyPass and I can configure apache2 to redirect
the requests via the ProxyRemote directive.

Example config scenario1 (e.g. default-server.conf):
ProxyRequests Off
ProxyRemote * http://12.34.56.78:3128
ProxyPass /mod_proxytest http://98.76.54.32

When additionally using mod_ssl to support https, everything
works fine as well: I can setup apache2 to act as reverse proxy
using ProxyPass as follows:

Example config scenario2 (e.g. vhost-ssl.conf):
ProxyRequests Off
SSLProxyEngine On
ProxyPass /mod_proxytest https://98.76.54.32

(Note the https in the ProxyPass directive)
I can see two SSL connections, one terminating at apache2
(from the client) and one originating from apache2 (requesting
the content from the remote server).

However, when I want to additionally redirect scenario 2 via
the RemoteProxy directive outlined in scenario 1, I do not get
it to work.

Example config scenario3 (vhost-ssl.conf):
ProxyRequests Off
SSLProxyEngine On
ProxyRemote * http://12.34.56.78:3128
ProxyPass /mod_proxytest https://98.76.54.32

So I would expect that apache2 tries to get the content via
the proxy using the CONNECT method. Instead, I get a
timeout and an apache server error 20014. The apache2
error log tells me:

[error] (20014)Error string not specified yet: proxy: request failed to
12.34.56.78:3128 (12.34.56.78)

So my question is: How do I get this to work?

When browsing the mod_proxy documentation for RemoteProxy, I found
that statement "scheme is effectively the protocol that should be used to
communicate with the remote server; only http is supported by this module.".
Is this the reason for my problems?

I have included the apache2 modules "proxy proxy_http proxy_connect, ssl"
so that all required modules should be present.

So is it my problem or is it a feature that cannot be used (yet).
Any helpful comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike