Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Richard Scannell <Ri...@Warwickshire.gov.uk> on 2011/12/09 15:31:54 UTC

Web Services Tutorial for 4.3.0

I downloaded V4.3.0 & found that the documentation was for a previous
release.  Further digging revealed a tutorial in Beta for servicemix release
4.3.0.. But this raised further questions.

The sample given enabled allowed me to use an XML file to configure a file
move process on the server, that moves a file from an ".input" folder to  an
".output" folder.  Subsequent exampled allowed the XML file to route the
file to different folders based on rules... "If the file is John's then move
it to "output_john" else.....

Q1 -This was all very inertesting, but with what real world situations would
I use this facility,  & why would n't I configure my application to send the
file to 'output_john'  in the first place?

Q2 - Where do web services or SOA fit with this example?

Q3 -  Are there any beginner tutorials which explain how to build a service
in 4.3?
Ideallly I'd like to be able to configure a service as follows with
parameters:

* Whether a service can use REST & / OR Soap
* To define parameter fields from client.
* To define whether to return the results as XML or JSON
* Whether to use incoming credentials ( EG Kerberos) or to use a trusted
subsystem model
* Where a daisy chained service exists or the database datasource, SQL used
to interrogate a RDBMS

The examples I have seen to date are bit ambiguous.  I am advised elsewhere
to "create an eclipse project ", but not what /sort/ of project . Similarly
there s advice to pull in certain dependencies - but some of the files are
missing from the sources...

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Re: Web Services Tutorial for 4.3.0

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Richard,

For Q1 and Q2: We use these file: endpoints in the tutorial mainly because
they're easy to test with and to see what's really going on.  You can
substitute any file endpoint in the route with any endpoint described in
http://camel.apache.org/components.html.  For example : you could start a
route with a CXF endpoint to expose a webservice and then send the incoming
payloads into ActiveMQ queues with activemq: endpoints at the end of the
route.

For Q3: There are a few examples available in the assembly that might help
you get started.  In the most recent assembly snapshots (e.g. at
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/servicemix/apache-servicemix/4.4.0-SNAPSHOT/)
you'll find them organized by technology, so if it's web services you're
interested in, you best start with checking out the CXF examples.

We currently don't have a more elaborate tutorial - there's an outstanding
issue for adding a CXF user guide in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SMX4-618 and I just added a reference
to this thread to that JIRA issue because I think the bullet points in your
original mail would make a great table of contents for a tutorial in there.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com