Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au> on 2006/09/03 01:52:22 UTC

Re: Proposal for adding html formatted tracebacks

On 28/08/2006, at 8:40 AM, Dan Eloff wrote:

> On 8/27/06, Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au> wrote:
>> Hmmm, I didn't think you were wanting to go to that level of
>> customisation.
>
> I've only mocked up the idea, it would probably be between 5-8 hours
> work to finish it as described.
>
>> If you do, I would suggest that we add a new directive to
>> mod_python called
>> something like PythonExceptionHandler. The idea being that details
>> of any
>> exception be supplied to your user supplied handler and everything
>> is left up
>> to you as to how you render the page. I suggest this as I'm not
>> real keen on
>> an approach whereby it depends on you having a special
>> exception.html file
>> somewhere as that approach may not work in a lot of situations. By
>> using a
>> handler, you can still use the approach you suggest, but that is
>> up to you
>> and it wouldn't be dictating a specific way of doing things on people
>> that may not work for everyone.
>>

> That is an excellent idea. I should have thought of it, except as
> usual I get in a rut of trying to solve a problem one way without
> first stopping and looking at the other solutions. However, it means
> you will have to go to a lot of trouble to get something like I
> described above, which while not working for everyone, would be nice
> for most people. So how about a compromise. Use the
> PythonExceptionHandler but make the handler I described as an example
> in the docs, with a link to download exception.html. I'll strike a
> balance between using python and javascript so as to save myself some
> effort, people can modify either at their discretion that way. That
> way anyone can easily use that as a base (or as-is) for their handler
> if they like.

Another thing that may be looked at in relation to this area is the
Apache API
for registering custom response handlers for error response codes.

   http://www.kuzbass.ru/docs/apache_c_mod_perl/142.htm

It may be of use to be able to register such handlers from within a
mod_python
handler rather than relying on ErrorDocument directive.

Graham

Re: Proposal for adding html formatted tracebacks

Posted by Dan Eloff <da...@gmail.com>.
On 9/2/06, Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au> wrote:
> registering custom response handlers for error response codes.
>
>    http://www.kuzbass.ru/docs/apache_c_mod_perl/142.htm
>
> It may be of use to be able to register such handlers from within a
> mod_python
> handler rather than relying on ErrorDocument directive.

It could certainly be done. I don't know who would have a use for such
a thing, but that's the beauty of mod_python is that you can do so
much with it. If someone wants to add it, I don't see why not.

-Dan