Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Harald Oehlmann <ha...@elmicron.de> on 2010/11/17 15:35:00 UTC

Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

One line in the announcement of Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0 made me
quite happy:

"Works with Rivet"

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/a75d93794130f103#

Harald

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
Zoran (or archiveware) should be the current owner of the name, we may ask him
to redirect it to the new home. In the meanwhile the TCLCA may set up itself
to takeup at least the tdom.org name.

 -- Massimo

P.S. 0.8.x confers on the project a blurring outline. If Rolf could elaborate
a 1.0 release goals paper it would give a purpose for someone to work on it
and signal the community the project is at least stable, if not actively
maintained.

P.P.S I do use tdom every time I need to manipulate an xml dom

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:11:55 -0600, Damon Courtney wrote

> Awesome.  Now if we could just get the whole of Tcl/Tk off of freakin'
SourceForge.

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by David Welton <da...@dedasys.com>.
> There was some talk of this at the conference, but the general consensus
> seemed to be that it was hard and we'd lose history because CVS -> Git
> conversion is not perfect enough.  To which I replied that it's better than
> putting 10 more years of history in CVS.  But whatever.  I'm not a core team
> member, and I couldn't budge that lot even if I were.

The Postgresql guys managed:

http://lwn.net/Articles/409635/

Looks like some fairly serious effort thought.

--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by Jeff Lawson <je...@bovine.net>.

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by David Welton <da...@dedasys.com>.

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.
Well, it's not exciting or glamorous to run your own "forge" that's for sure.  At this juncture I was just proposing a box somewhere that people can host Fossil repos on.  Fossil already has its own built-in bug tracker, wiki, etc...  I'm not sure how hard it would be to run multiple repos on a single machine with since Fossil kinda wants to run its own web server.

If we could figure that out, each project already has all the bits it needs.  You can have a "project" website up and running in Fossil just by creating the repo.  At least to start with.  If someone wants something more than the default, they can kick in some work on Fossil and do it. *shrug*

That being said, I really like Github.  Their issue tracker is really not going to work for something with high volume though.  It's already slow as hell for me, and I have only 100 or so issues.  Blech.

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by Clif Flynt <cl...@cflynt.com>.
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 05:57:28PM +0100, Massimo Manghi wrote:
> As a project tdom is currently floating in the air. Pointing your
> browser to www.tdom.org you get the home page of Archiware, which used
> to host the project pages. Archiware had a major break-in in september
> (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/tdom/message/2010) and the attacker
> disrupted their CVS. As a consequence the latest changes to the code
> were lost. Archiveware is unwilling to keep tdom and this is raising the
> problem of maintaining the project coherently on the net. AFAIK a copy
> of the sources were recovered from the Debian source archives and from a
> number of other copies existing on the net adding confusion to packagers
> and users as well. Do you know if someone stepped forward to host the
> site and sorted out the issue?

  Putting on one of my other hats for a moment - is this a service that
the Tcl Community Association should be offering to the community?  Or
is this something better handled via sourceForge or the other code
repository services.

  Just for general info, currently, TCLCA pays for the wiki, runs the
US conference and acts as our front for the Google Summer of Code.

  Thanks,
  Clif

--
... Clif Flynt ... http://www.cwflynt.com ... clif@cflynt.com ...
.. Tcl/Tk: A Developer's Guide (2nd edition) - Morgan Kauffman ..

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by Jeff Lawson <je...@bovine.net>.
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Harald Oehlmann <
harald.oehlmann@elmicron.de> wrote:

> Am 17.11.2010 17:57, schrieb Massimo Manghi:
> > Do you know if someone stepped forward to host the
> > site and sorted out the issue?
>
> I contacted one month ago the maintainer I knew from ETCL 3 years ago:
> * Rolf Ade: rolf@pointsman.de
> There was no answer.
>
> Harald

I see that an existing archive of the repository has been identified on
Github, however its last commit was from Nov 2009:
https://github.com/makr/tdom

The wayback machine also has a copy of the website from Aug 2008:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080805035611/http://www.tdom.org/

If none of the original project maintainers can be reached, then perhaps a
new project should be set up on Google Code or SourceForge based on the last
known copy of the sources...

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
On 11/17/2010 05:39 PM, Jeff Lawson wrote:
> Yes, the new Rivet support in tclws is the result of code changes that
> I developed for FlightAware and contributed back to the project.
> Deploying tclws Web Services under Rivet is substantially easier than
> under TclHttpd, since you only need to copy your rvt file into any
> server directory and don't need to make any other server config changes.

Jeff, just a question related to tclws but not exclusively to it

I see tclws is using tdom I presume to manage the XML.

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by Jeff Lawson <je...@bovine.net>.

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.

Re: Web Services for Tcl v1.2.0

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
Hi Harald,

thanks for the link.

The issue about having a structured tool for this purpose has been
brought up several times recently and this announcement is very timely.
In the process of revising the documentation page about xml messaging
and Ajax we may add a link to this project