Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Yordan Pavlov <y....@gmail.com> on 2009/05/04 12:51:00 UTC

Re: question about using one transport in both directions

Thanks for the help. The thirft community seems to be pretty helpful.
However I want to stress everyone's attention on the fact that
Thrift's documentation is hard to access and not well structured. As
new users come around the mailing lists will get bloated with the same
basic questions which everyone would have. I am not pretty sure what
the hierarchy in the community is and who should initiate such an
activity but I believe that the following should be done:

1) The mailing list archive should be searchable. Starting a forum
might be even a better idea since it can structure the topics in
sections.
2) The different libraries, their pros and cons and their api should
be described in the wiki. I think the wiki format is best for this
purpose so that the community can easily edit errors and improvements
as they appear.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Hear, hear.

I would second this point.  It isn't like there is all that much to document
(at the first level).

>From the user's point of view, using thrift is remarkably easy and clean.
Getting to that point of enlightenment, however, is not easy.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: question about using one transport in both directions

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Yordan,

2) It seems like http://wiki.apache.org/thrift/LibraryFeatures is a start
for what you're looking to see on the wiki. Given that it is a wiki, you
could help fill out the documentation with a skeleton of what you're
requesting, perhaps filling in some of it yourself.

Later,
Jeff