Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chinmay Tripathi <ch...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/15 07:59:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Big log file- any impact on performance ?

Hi,

I was wondering if the log file size has any impact on the apache
performance. On my Linux web server, one log file size is 20GB. I know I can
rotate this log. But my question to you is whether the size of the log file
has any impact on apache performance whatsoever.

Any comments or suggestions?
Thanks,
Chinmay Tripathi

Re: [users@httpd] Big log file- any impact on performance ?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Chinmay Tripathi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if the log file size has any impact on the apache
> performance. On my Linux web server, one log file size is 20GB. I know I can
> rotate this log. But my question to you is whether the size of the log file
> has any impact on apache performance whatsoever.

+1, by curiosity.
I don't know the answer, and I also find this an interesting question.
Does Apache keep this file open, at the point of insertion, while it is
running ? Does opening this 20GB file initially, when Apache starts,
impose a penalty ?

Keeping a 20GB logfile in one piece is not something I would do, for
practical reasons, but the question above is still interesting to me.

Chinmay, you may also want to indicate if you are talking about an
Apache error log, or an access log.

--------------

Separately : I would rotate this file anyway, even if it has no direct
impact on Apache.  A 20 GB file in one piece is difficult to handle
anyway : it is difficult to copy or backup, takes a very long time to
read for any statistical analysis, takes up a lot of space etc..  There
are several rotation mechanisms (logrotate, rotatelogs,..) which,
combined with a compression scheme, would save a lot of space and make
this a lot easier to handle.

RE: [users@httpd] Digest Authentication

Posted by Tirtza Bernstein <ti...@simply-y.com>.
Thanks a lot.  That was it.  I was using notepad.  I switched to wordpad and now it works.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] Big log file- any impact on performance ?

Posted by Glen Barber <gl...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 2:59 AM, Chinmay Tripathi
<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if the log file size has any impact on the apache
> performance. On my Linux web server, one log file size is 20GB. I know I can
> rotate this log. But my question to you is whether the size of the log file
> has any impact on apache performance whatsoever.
>
> Any comments or suggestions?

The size of the log file does not matter, per se, because apache will
append the latest event information to the end of the file.

20GB is a huge log file, IMHO.  Make sure your /var directory has
enough room to hold such a file, and if it does not, that /var does
not leech space from other mountpoints -- this can cause other
problems on the system, such as random applications crashing for what
appears to be no reason.

Logfile size does impact the system as a whole, sometimes not in the
area(s) you are expecting them to impact.

--
Glen Barber

Re: [users@httpd] Big log file- any impact on performance ?

Posted by Davide Bianchi <da...@walterisookeensufferukker.nl>.
Chinmay Tripathi wrote:
> I was wondering if the log file size has any impact on the apache
> performance.

On _apache_ performance not really, but it will impact the performance
of anything you use to analyze said log files. Running a log analyzer on
a 1 Gb file, will require less time and processing power than doing the
same on a 10 Gb file.

Davide

--
Windows found - Remove? (Y)es (S)ure (F)ine (O)K