Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Scott Sherwood <ma...@shawus.com> on 2002/04/14 18:13:39 UTC

Access Error

I'm just starting to learn about .htaccess in Apache. When I try to add
some lines to the httpd.conf file, I get the following error when I try
to restart the server:

Invalid command 'AuthUserFile'

I'm using Apache module apache 1.3.19-3mdk for Mandrake Linux 8.0. Why
doesn't apache recognize a valid Apache command? Has it been turned off
by Mandrake?

Re: Access Error

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Scott Sherwood wrote:
> I'm just starting to learn about .htaccess in Apache. When I try to add
> some lines to the httpd.conf file, I get the following error when I try
> to restart the server:
>
> Invalid command 'AuthUserFile'
>
> I'm using Apache module apache 1.3.19-3mdk for Mandrake Linux 8.0. Why
> doesn't apache recognize a valid Apache command? Has it been turned off
> by Mandrake?

Looks that way.  If you check the docs, you'll see that AuthUserFile is
provided by mod_auth.  The command "httpd -l" will tell you if mod_auth
is compiled into the server.  If you are using dynamic modules, on the
other hand, you should see a LoadModule line for mod_auth.

Joshua.