Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Kent Healey <kh...@email.com> on 2003/12/02 17:24:25 UTC

[users@httpd] New User? home page/ index.html ?

I am a windows XP home user, and I recently downloaded:
apache_2.0.48-win32-x86-no_ssl

Previously I downloaded some version of Apache with indigo pearl.
I am not sure if it was exactly what I needed or not.
The version installed itself in the :c directory starting with Indigo, or
something like that. I have since uninstalled that version, deleted that
root folder and installed the above version.

Using the old version:
I was able to place documents into my HTdocs folder and call my homepage
file
"index.html"  and when I  would go to my domain, the index.html would load
no problem.

But I was having a hell of a time configuring anything, so I thought I might
have downloaded the wrong version of Apache.

So I went with {apache_2.0.48-win32-x86-no_ssl}

I went through the installation and setup seemed to go properly.

After the install, when I went to visit mydomain.com the same successful
apache install html page was up that  I saw the first time using the other
version.

So I did what I did the first time.
I removed all the files from Htdocs and added the pages I wanted and renamed
the home page index.html.
Now when I go to my site I see a: Index/ of page with the parent directory
and a
list of all the folders or files in my HTdocs folder.

I can't figure out how to get any page to load as the index or home page.
When I put back all the Apache files back into htdocs, the "If you can see
this, it means that the installation" page loads as a home page.

I guess it should be noted that I don't know what to configure or how to
configure it so that my old trick of naming something index.html will make
it load as the home page.

Thanks.