Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Edward Moon <em...@mooned.org> on 2000/08/16 00:46:38 UTC

[OT] mod_proxy tuning info?

I'm looking for docs or white papers on tuning apache/mod_proxy for
optimum performance when acting as a reverse proxy for a web farm.

Can anyone point me to a URL or a book that's a good reference?

Thanks,

Re: [OT] mod_proxy tuning info?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Edward Moon wrote:

> Yes, I have read that part of the mod_perl guide. I'm looking for a more
> detailed discussion on mod_proxy configuration and performance.
>
> But it doesn't answer the questions I have regarding the use of mod_proxy:
> * What affect does CacheGcInterval have on performance?
> * Does setting CacheDirLevels to a high value cause a performance hit?
> * Does setting CacheDirLength to a small value increase performance?
> * How does performance scale with 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB of memory?
> * How do you determine the overall hit rate? The hit rate from ram? The
> hit
> rate from disk?
> * There are dynamic pages I want cached for a certain TTL. There are other
> dynamic pages I don't want cached at all. Do I have to use the NoCache
> directive on all the directories/files I don't want cached? Or is there a
> more effective way to do this?

Edward,

Can you please forward me the informaition you learn about the above
items and I'll complete the missing details to the Guide?

Thanks a lot!

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://jazzvalley.com
http://singlesheaven.com http://perlmonth.com   perl.org   apache.org

Re: [OT] mod_proxy tuning info?

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@primenet.com>.
Hi Ed,

> * What affect does CacheGcInterval have on performance?

You might find it useful to split GC out into a separate process,
especially if you are sharing the cache directory over NFS.

> * How does performance scale with 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB of memory?

Your filesystem performance should improve with more memory, so I would
expect mod_proxy performance to improve as a result.

> * There are dynamic pages I want cached for a certain TTL. There are other
> dynamic pages I don't want cached at all. Do I have to use the NoCache
> directive on all the directories/files I don't want cached? Or is there a
> more effective way to do this?

You can do it with Expires headers.  Make sure you send Last-Modified or
the pages won't get cached.  If you don't want the rest of the world to
get your Expires headers, you'll have to modify mod_proxy to remove them.

- Perrin

Re: [OT] mod_proxy tuning info?

Posted by Edward Moon <em...@mooned.org>.

Re: [OT] mod_proxy tuning info?