Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Zhenxin wang <zh...@docomolabs-usa.com> on 2002/08/01 19:42:15 UTC

web.xml tags extensible?

Can the tags in web.xml file be extensible? We want to define some new tags to carry more info about the servlets.

Thanks!

--Zhenxin Wang
  DoCoMo Labs USA

Re: web.xml tags extensible?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Zhenxin wang wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:42:15 -0700
> From: Zhenxin wang <zh...@docomolabs-usa.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: web.xml tags extensible?
>

> Can the tags in web.xml file be extensible?

In Servlet 2.3 and earlier, the web application deployment descriptor is
not extensible.  In Servlet 2.4, validation of the deployment descriptor
will be based on XML Schema, so an "extensibillity" element was defined
for precisely the kind of thing your are describing.

> We want to define some new
> tags to carry more info about the servlets.

See the public draft of the Servlet 2.4 spec for details, particularly
Chapter 13.

  http://www.jcp.org/jsr/detail/154.jsp

> Thanks!
>
> --Zhenxin Wang