Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net> on 2005/08/24 03:28:03 UTC

Re: cvs2svn: altrmi + ftpserver

Well FtpServer at least seems to have some activity all of a sudden.

Who is admin for issues.apache.org ?

Regards,

- Paul

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.
I'm listed ( paul ) as manager of FtpServer, but I can't close
issues.  Can someone upgrade me :-)

- Paul

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 24-08-2005 03:28, "Paul Hammant" <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net> wrote:
> Who is admin for issues.apache.org ?

50+ people can do jira admin. Make your requests right here, if they're not
handled escalate to infrastructure at apache dot org, or file an issue in
the INFRA jira.

For other stuff (eg bugzilla), contact infrastructure at apache dot org.

- LSD

Re: cvs2svn: altrmi + ftpserver

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Lets set a target date for completion of work against copy taken from
> CVS. People have work outstanding that is _much_ better applied to  the
> SCM is was taken from than another.

Agreed

> Say cut over on or around 15th Sept ?

I think that's a good date with enough time for commiters to get their
stuff into the code base. Will you arrange for the formal stuff to be
ready until then?

/niklas

Re: cvs2svn: altrmi + ftpserver

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 27 August 2005 04:41, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> Paul Hammant wrote:
> > If we were
> > in Subversion there would be even more room !
>
> How can we make this happen? Having FTPServer in SVN would be great.

1. The pmc of the project(s) need to request it. For incubator, that is
typically delegated to the provisional pmc of the podlings.

2. It has to be moved to svn before end of the year, since cvs write access
will be permanently disabled. No exceptions.

3. This combine with the "hibernating state" of these projects, may result the
incubator pmc to request to migrate remaining podlings at any point soon,
irregardless of the wishes of the ppmc.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: cvs2svn: altrmi + ftpserver

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.
Rana,

Welcome back.

> I was busy for the last 2 yesrs. So I could not touch
> it. Anyway, I have started working on it about 2
> months ago. I guess it will take one more month. These
> are the things I have done.
>
> 1. Got rid of Avalon. As Avalon project is defunct,
> there is no point using it.
> 2. Implicit and explicit SSL/TLS support.
> 3. Ftplet API has been implemented.
> 4. User defined message support.
> 5. Removed RMI based administrator UI. All these
> things can be done using SITE command. So there is no
> point complicating the server.
> 6. Whole new documentation.
> 7. Added provision to support i18n later.

Fantastic feature set.

> The basic objective is simplicity and zero dependency
> on other libraries. We should not complicate it unless
> we have some compelling reasons. If you want to take a
> look I can send the source code. But at this point it
> is not ready to publish.

There is the big problem dude :-)

The code @ Apache is being slowly morphed by myself based on the
contributions from some new friends of FtpServer.  Its great that so
many people are interested, but please, one by one or all at a time,
commit your changes to FtpServer here rather than continue with a
long rework. We trust you to do great work, but in my experience
there is plenty of room for people to commit to the same code-base.
If we were in Subversion there would be even more room !

> As I have done a massive refactoring, instead of
> dumping the existing source we can dump the new source
> after one month.

Confused ...

> BTW, a logo and product name will be useful. I was
> thinking about "Jadoo". Please do suggest what you are
> thinking.

A new product name is alluring.  I suggest the time to finalize on
one would be on exit from Incubator.

- Paul

Re: cvs2svn: altrmi + ftpserver

Posted by Rana Bhattacharyya <ra...@yahoo.com>.