Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com> on 2003/07/03 17:17:08 UTC

List Administration - non-subscriber postings allowed?

Say folks -
  This email is not about Jonathan Revusky. I'll get that out of the way
first so there isn't confusion/supposition/insinuation/misapprehension/a
love fest.

I just realized that one of my recent posts was made from one of my
personal accounts.
However - that account isn't signed up to the list. Seems to suggest
that non-subscribers can post to the velocity-user list... or I have
unusually good kharma. I tend to believe it is the former case. <grin>

Assuming this is correct, this could provide a vulnerability for
spammers and email virus transmission to the list.

So - I propose that non-subscribers be disallowed to post to the list to
avoid potential hassle.

Cheers,
Timo

RE: List Administration - non-subscriber postings allowed?

Posted by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com>.
> Posts by non-subscribers get directed to the moderator.
> So, what you propose is already in place, but that's how your message
> did make it on.
Thanks for the clarification Serge.
So I must have good kharma afterall. Cool. ;-)

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Tim Colson wrote:
> I just realized that one of my recent posts was made from one of my
> personal accounts.
> However - that account isn't signed up to the list. Seems to suggest
> that non-subscribers can post to the velocity-user list... or I have
> unusually good kharma. I tend to believe it is the former case. <grin>
>
> Assuming this is correct, this could provide a vulnerability for
> spammers and email virus transmission to the list.
>
> So - I propose that non-subscribers be disallowed to post to the list to
> avoid potential hassle.

Posts by non-subscribers get directed to the moderator.  He/she can then
approve or reject the post, and can optionally flag the sending email
address as one that is allowed to post without moderator review.

--
Serge Knystautas
President