Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by "Height, Jason" <jh...@subcorp.com.au> on 2004/02/11 02:06:14 UTC

RE: cvs commit: jakarta-poi/src/documentation/content/xdocs/hssf quick-guide.xml

Now that your work is in CVS, there was a bit of discussion on the mailing
list of people who wanted to work on this area.

Hopefully they should be able to take what has been done and extend it to
support reading/modification of existing drawings.

Jason

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
At 04:14 PM 11/02/2004, you wrote:
>There are many reasons to read shapes. For instance, how else would you read
>and index the text inside of a text box or call-out.

Streaming the records out to extract the text probably wouldn't be hard to
implement (just an extension to the current event model).  This would solve
your indexing issue.  Building up the records into a higher level user
model would require more work however as you need to have a deeper
understanding of all ways shapes hang together.

>And OLE documents embedded in Excel (including ChartObjects) are within
>shape containers. So my guess is a call to getPatriarch will destroy any
>charts and embedded OLE documents on the worksheet (just a guess... haven't
>tried it).

That's correct as it currently stands.

>The OLE objects are actually in a separate stream, and referenced
>by OBJ records. But they are framed by a shape object, and if getPatriarch()
>kills all the shape objects, you would loose the properties like where the
>OLE window was positioned, whether it had a border, what the zoom ratio is,
>etc.

Yes. It wasn't designed to support this although I have no issue with
anyone attempting to add this support and I'd be happy to assist.

Regards,

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au

RE: cvs commit: jakarta-poi/src/documentation/content/xdocs/hssf quick-guide.xml

Posted by Michael Zalewski <za...@optonline.net>.
There are many reasons to read shapes. For instance, how else would you read
and index the text inside of a text box or call-out.

And OLE documents embedded in Excel (including ChartObjects) are within
shape containers. So my guess is a call to getPatriarch will destroy any
charts and embedded OLE documents on the worksheet (just a guess... haven't
tried it). The OLE objects are actually in a separate stream, and referenced
by OBJ records. But they are framed by a shape object, and if getPatriarch()
kills all the shape objects, you would loose the properties like where the
OLE window was positioned, whether it had a border, what the zoom ratio is,
etc.

Yep.  Although I'm not sure why reading shape objects would be useful to be
honest.

Keeping existing shape objects would be handy and probably easier to
implement than full reading support.

Regards,

Glen

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.