Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2007/09/17 21:31:01 UTC

September 2007 Incubator Board Report

The Incubator enjoyed another nice quiet month.  Busy, but no confliects or
problems.  A few more new PMC Members were added, and a more couple people
stepped up as Mentors.  The recommendation to have at least 3 Mentors per
project, although not universally implemented, appears to be having the
desired effect of smoothing out the ride.  And projects are now coming to
the PMC to request additional Mentors when theirs go quiet or need to leave.

Sanselan and Sling have entered Incubation.  JSPWiki is due to join shortly.
A couple of other proposals are under consideration.

-------------------------

=== log4php ===

log4php incubation was restarted in July.  Three new committers have been
added and a JIRA project has been set up for bug tracking.  A maven 2
generated web site has been published to
http://incubator.apache.org/log4php. The source tree was reorganized and an
initial pass at migration to PHP 5 was committed in July, but there has been
little recent activity (possibly due to vacations) and no published
development plan.  In the next period, the development team needs to
establish development plan for an initial snapshot.

=== Sling ===

Sling is a framework to develop content centric web applications based on
the idea of modularizing the rendering of HTTP resources. Sling entered
incubation on September 5th, 2007.

The Sling project has just started. The basic infrastructure (mailing lists,
subversion, issue tracker, web site) is mostly in place; the only things
still missing are one committer account and a wiki space. The software grant
for Sling has been received and the initial source code is now available in
svn.

It is a bit early, but we're looking forward to seeing the plan for how
Sling will move itself through to graduation.

=== Sanselan ===

Sanselan is a pure-java image library for reading and writing a variety of
image formats.

The Sanselan project has just started. Mailing lists, subversion and Jira
are setup and we're currently working on getting the remaining bits of the
infrastructure running like the website etc. The CLAs for all initial
committers have been recorded and accounts are pending. The software grant
for Sanselan has been received and the code base will be committed to svn as
soon as the accounts are created.

=== River ===

River is aimed at the development and advancement of the Jini technology
core infrastructure. River entered incubation on Dec 26, 2006.

Jini technology is a service oriented architecture that defines a
programming model which both exploits and extends Java technology to enable
the construction of secure, distributed systems which are adaptive to
change.

The last artifact, the QA framework, has been voted in and landed in SVN.
An automated build environment has been put in place and finally all
outstanding issues from the Sun issue tracking system have been manually
migrated in a large group effort to JIRA.

The River community agreed to do a first release to show the larger Jini
community it is serious in its efforts. It ain't a very ambitious release
and will be almost an equivalent of the last release done by Sun but
includes the ServiceUI code. This release also allows the River community to
get acquainted and find out about many of the ASF procedures. No
transformation of the com.sun.jini namespace to org.apache.river will take
place, but the River community is aware it has to do that and will find an
opportune moment for that during incubation.

Perhaps as a side effect of the ambitions for the first release discussions
on new functionality don't seem to take off very well, but that time is used
to discuss the process the River project believes it needs to establish.
Although most committers have expressed their desire to have code-review
before code is committed, due to complexity of the codebase and the
difficulty to test many aspects properly, it seemed hard to decide to what
extent to enforce that.  A proposal for the initial process guidelines is up
for a vote now that combines RTC for public API and CTR for implementation
details.

US export regulations apply to the River codebase and although discussed in
the very early days we were living under the (wrong) impression that
complying with them only applied when we were about to release. We are aware
now that we should have taken care of it even before the code landed in SVN
and we are going to comply as soon as possible.

=== TripleSoup ===

Did not report.

TripleSoup entered Incubation in February 2007.

TripleSoup is intended to provide an RDF store, tooling to work with that
database, and a REST web interface to talk to that database using SPARQL,
implemented as an apache webserver module.

There was a lot of traffic in February and April, but very little since
April.  The Incubator PMC will inquire whether or not it is time to mark
TripleSoup as dormant.

=== Lokahi ===

The last word of discussion some 3 months ago was about infra, the creation
of the lokahi wiki site.  It has since been unused.  Some banter on the tail
end of ApacheCon EU/07 included ideas about docs and deployment help, and
some ideas about DB backends.

The last commit activity in the same timeframe were the beginnings of a
jackrabbit connector, no other activity for commits@ since then.

There has been no activity on private.

The Incubator is expressing concern over the dormant state of Lokahi, and
what can be done to revive it, since there seems to be more user interest
than developer interest at this time.

Re: September 2007 Incubator Board Report

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Jim and I discussed it a bit since it came in "right around" the 48
hour limit (and the huge Incubator report is definitely sensitive to
that timing restriction). Since the report will effectively have a
couple days for people to review it, then it seemed fine, and I told
Jim that I'd accept it (as this month's shepherd). Sure, it isn't in
the agenda (yet), but the report *is* available for review. (recall
that we only require it be sent to board@; if Chairs also check it
into the agenda... "great, thanks for helping")

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: September 2007 Incubator Board Report

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Greg,

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Ben Hyde wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2007, at 7:31 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
>> Why on the private list? Why wouldn't a discussion like that be part
>> of the public dev list?
>
> My choice, possibly wrong.  That said, I'd be surprised if any choice to
> redouble or shelf would be made without a round of discussion in the
> public list. - mentor ben

+1; I already can imagine how the committers might have something personal
to share about why the project isn't a priority, that isn't appropriate
to the public list.

Final decisions though do need to be public, and probably deserve a public
facing rational.

Thanks Ben.

Re: September 2007 Incubator Board Report

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: September 2007 Incubator Board Report

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.