Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by "Nguyen, Ricky" <rn...@chla.usc.edu> on 2012/04/23 20:58:50 UTC

serving files from filemgr

Seems like there are many different front ends for the file manager.

1) app/fmbrowser - a Swing application
2) webapp/fmprod - a REST service
3) webapp/fmbrowser - wicket web app, not sure what this is?
4) webapp/components - wicket web app, not sure what this is?
5) pcs/opsui - wicket web app, demo'd at apachecon '11, what can it do for filemgr?

3, 4 and 5 all appear to have "product browsing" capabilities (what I'm guessing from looking at the java class names). What are the differences between these apps? Do they work together or have different roles? Are some deprecated in favor of others?

Thanks,
Ricky

or legally privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure
or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this original message.

Re: serving files from filemgr

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Andrew,

On Apr 24, 2012, at 1:38 PM, Andrew Hart wrote:

> Hey Ricky,
>
> Great question. Just to add to this list, for PHP web application developers there is also the recently added 'cas-browser' module in the Balance component (trunk/balance/modules/cas-browser).

Yep cas-browser is for PHP folks who are using OODT Balance and who want similar functionality to that provided by
the Wicket based OODT-155 and OODT-157 apps (fmbrowser and PCS OPS ui, respectively).

> These front ends have evolved on independent time lines to meet different needs in different environments. There are probably other folks who can better talk to 1-3,

Done, replied separately! :)

> but (4) and (5) are related in that the Wicket web app in (4) is a module that encapsulates functionality for interacting with the File Manager in the context of the OODT PCS Operator Interface (OpsUI) (5). The OpsUI (5) provides a high-level "operational" perspective of a data management pipeline consisting of one or more of the File Manager, Resource Manager, and Workflow Manager components.

PERFECT Andrew. And Andrew contributed significantly (as did Paul and Cameron) to OODT-157, which was our
awesome "can we do this in 2 days" UI for ApacheCon :) Just Kidding, wasn't 2 days, but it felt like it!

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: serving files from filemgr

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Ricky,

Exactly looks like you've totally scoped it below.

I would love to produce more of these Wicket apps, in particular:

* the PCS OPSUI used to have the ability to modify the config and policy
for FM, WM and RM. I started working on this for 0.4, but 0.4 will ship with
this functionality not really working. So in 0.5 I want to get it working.

* I'd like to update the CAS curator webapp to minimally leverage Wicket
instead of JSP in the background as it currently does. That way you
could feasibly "drop in" a curator widget into an app.

* a set of controller apps that actually stop/start/restart the FM, RM, and
WM

* a set of remote data acquisition UIs (e.g., stuff to control push pull)

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Ricky,

Posted by "Nguyen, Ricky" <rn...@chla.usc.edu>.

Posted by "Nguyen, Ricky" <rn...@chla.usc.edu>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Ricky,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Ricky,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Hart <ah...@apache.org>.
Hey Ricky,

Great question. Just to add to this list, for PHP web application
developers there is also the recently added 'cas-browser' module in the
Balance component (trunk/balance/modules/cas-browser).

These front ends have evolved on independent time lines to meet
different needs in different environments. There are probably other
folks who can better talk to 1-3, but (4) and (5) are related in that
the Wicket web app in (4) is a module that encapsulates functionality
for interacting with the File Manager in the context of the OODT PCS
Operator Interface (OpsUI) (5). The OpsUI (5) provides a high-level
"operational" perspective of a data management pipeline consisting of
one or more of the File Manager, Resource Manager, and Workflow Manager
components.

-Andrew.

On 4/23/12 11:58 AM, Nguyen, Ricky wrote:
> Seems like there are many different front ends for the file manager.
>
> 1) app/fmbrowser - a Swing application
> 2) webapp/fmprod - a REST service
> 3) webapp/fmbrowser - wicket web app, not sure what this is?
> 4) webapp/components - wicket web app, not sure what this is?
> 5) pcs/opsui - wicket web app, demo'd at apachecon '11, what can it do for filemgr?
>
> 3, 4 and 5 all appear to have "product browsing" capabilities (what I'm guessing from looking at the java class names). What are the differences between these apps? Do they work together or have different roles? Are some deprecated in favor of others?
>
> Thanks,
> Ricky

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments,
> is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
> or legally privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure
> or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
> contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this original message.

Andrew F. Hart
http://people.apache.org/~ahart

Re: serving files from filemgr

Posted by Andrew Hart <ah...@apache.org>.