Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net> on 2003/12/20 17:58:29 UTC

[maven] developer repository?

I'm using Maven, but I frequently run into situations where a version of
a jar I need isn't on ibiblio.  For example, yesterday at work I needed
the postgres 7.4 jdbc driver, and also the new xdoclet 1.2, neither of
which are there yet.

For just a single developer, it's as easy as copying the jar to my local
repository.  However, in a multi-developer, multi-site situation, it
becomes a bit harder.  I don't want to have to manually provide these
jars to my fellow developers.  For these newer jars, I'm thinking of
checking them into our version control system and using Maven's jar
override feature until they are uploaded onto ibiblio.

Now, I've already filed requests for these files in the maven-upload
category in Jira as the Maven guys have suggested.  However, this
process seems to take some time.

My idea is to create a developer repository somewhere on an
apache/jakarta machine, that any committer can write to.  You could put
a jar there, specify this url as a secondary repository, and be able to
work until the jar gets put on ibiblio.

It's just a quick idea that I thought of, that may make things easier.
If I need a newer version of [betwixt] or [sql] or some other unreleased
component, I can build it myself and put it in this developer repository.

I'm already doing something like this in my public_html directory, but
I thought that maybe some other developers would like to do the same
thing.   Think about it: after a commons component is released, how long
does it take to get up on ibiblio?  In my opinion, it should be
available in a remote repository, somewhere, as soon as it is released.
  For example, [primitives] and [dbutils] still aren't there, and were
released over a month ago.

What do you think?  Is this a good idea or would it just create more
headaches?

Re: [maven] developer repository?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 20:49, __matthewHawthorne wrote:
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > If some wants to make a maven-like directory within the standard
> > distribution location on ASF hardware right now they can. That could be
> > a first, very practical step the repo project could make. Then let
> > projects put their artifacts in there as they wish.
>
> This is what I was suggesting.  I figured that others had the same
> problem that I did, and would be willing to create a space together to
> hold newer versions than what is currently on ibiblio. Maybe a dirctory
> in /www/maven.apache.org/repo or something like that.
>
> The repository@apache project looks great, and I would imagine that this
> is what Maven will be using in the future (right?).

All depends on what works for Maven users. If you as a Maven user like
what they have to offer then we will use it.

>   However, I'm
> looking for a solution which will work with Maven right now.

Yup, a simple directory structure would do it. You just have to tell
infrastructure that as a maven user and an apache committer you would
like to see a directory structure for placing artifacts for use with
Maven and see what they say.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [maven] developer repository?

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> If some wants to make a maven-like directory within the standard
> distribution location on ASF hardware right now they can. That could be
> a first, very practical step the repo project could make. Then let
> projects put their artifacts in there as they wish.

This is what I was suggesting.  I figured that others had the same
problem that I did, and would be willing to create a space together to
hold newer versions than what is currently on ibiblio. Maybe a dirctory
in /www/maven.apache.org/repo or something like that.

The repository@apache project looks great, and I would imagine that this
is what Maven will be using in the future (right?).  However, I'm

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.
On 20 Dec 2003, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 19:01, Greg Stein wrote:
> > I'd also like to point out the Board has specifically requested that the
> > Apache Maven Project should distribute jars from ASF hardware. We make
> > certain guarantees to our users, and those guarantees require distributing
> > ASF code from known, secure hardware (the ASF itself).
> >
> > Thus, a jar repository will be created at the ASF, and ibiblio will mirror
> > from that (and probably add some additional jars which won't ever be
> > distributed by the ASF for various reasons). The repository will fit into
> > our mirror framework, and there will be automatic mechanisms for ASF
> > software releases to automatically flow into that repository (e.g. the
> > point about releases taking (sometimes) months to appear at ibilio will
> > not occur).
>
> If some wants to make a maven-like directory within the standard
> distribution location on ASF hardware right now they can. That could be
> a first, very practical step the repo project could make. Then let
> projects put their artifacts in there as they wish.

+1

--
----------------------
Tim O'Brien

Re: [maven] developer repository?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [maven] developer repository?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org>.

--
gstein@apache.org ... ASF Chairman ... http://www.apache.org/

Re: [maven] developer repository?

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, __matthewHawthorne wrote:

> I'm using Maven, but I frequently run into situations where a version of
> a jar I need isn't on ibiblio.  For example, yesterday at work I needed
> the postgres 7.4 jdbc driver, and also the new xdoclet 1.2, neither of
> which are there yet.
>
> For just a single developer, it's as easy as copying the jar to my local
> repository.  However, in a multi-developer, multi-site situation, it
> becomes a bit harder.  I don't want to have to manually provide these
> jars to my fellow developers.  For these newer jars, I'm thinking of
> checking them into our version control system and using Maven's jar
> override feature until they are uploaded onto ibiblio.
>
> Now, I've already filed requests for these files in the maven-upload
> category in Jira as the Maven guys have suggested.  However, this
> process seems to take some time.
>
> My idea is to create a developer repository somewhere on an
> apache/jakarta machine, that any committer can write to.  You could put
> a jar there, specify this url as a secondary repository, and be able to
> work until the jar gets put on ibiblio.
>
> It's just a quick idea that I thought of, that may make things easier.
> If I need a newer version of [betwixt] or [sql] or some other unreleased
> component, I can build it myself and put it in this developer repository.
>
> I'm already doing something like this in my public_html directory, but

As Noel pointed out, there's a repo project starting up elsewhere. In the
meantime, though, please be *very* careful about what you make available
in your public_html directory. Specifically, you need to ensure that the
licenses for all of those components permit redistribution, since that is
effectively what you are doing.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Nightly builds to Maven repo Was: [maven] developer repository?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org>.
Jason,

If it is just 10 seconds, then why haven't you set this up yet?

-g

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 20:15, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Slightly similar topic, rather than wanting a repo I can access more
> easily [I already manage one for work and one for a smaller community
> [osjava.org]], I'd like to see the nightly builds of Jakarta Commons be
> deployed as SNAPSHOTs to the Maven/iBiblio repository.

Again, that could be fine in 10 seconds with a directory here somewhere,
then just build to that and change the commons project.properties files
accordingly to poke the apache repo first. Some could probably even port
the perl stuff for mirror finding to Java and we could incorporate that.

> Hen
>
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, __matthewHawthorne wrote:
>
> > I'm using Maven, but I frequently run into situations where a version of
> > a jar I need isn't on ibiblio.  For example, yesterday at work I needed
> > the postgres 7.4 jdbc driver, and also the new xdoclet 1.2, neither of
> > which are there yet.
> >
> > For just a single developer, it's as easy as copying the jar to my local
> > repository.  However, in a multi-developer, multi-site situation, it
> > becomes a bit harder.  I don't want to have to manually provide these
> > jars to my fellow developers.  For these newer jars, I'm thinking of
> > checking them into our version control system and using Maven's jar
> > override feature until they are uploaded onto ibiblio.
> >
> > Now, I've already filed requests for these files in the maven-upload
> > category in Jira as the Maven guys have suggested.  However, this
> > process seems to take some time.
> >
> > My idea is to create a developer repository somewhere on an
> > apache/jakarta machine, that any committer can write to.  You could put
> > a jar there, specify this url as a secondary repository, and be able to
> > work until the jar gets put on ibiblio.
> >
> > It's just a quick idea that I thought of, that may make things easier.
> > If I need a newer version of [betwixt] or [sql] or some other unreleased
> > component, I can build it myself and put it in this developer repository.
> >
> > I'm already doing something like this in my public_html directory, but
> > I thought that maybe some other developers would like to do the same
> > thing.   Think about it: after a commons component is released, how long
> > does it take to get up on ibiblio?  In my opinion, it should be
> > available in a remote repository, somewhere, as soon as it is released.
> >   For example, [primitives] and [dbutils] still aren't there, and were
> > released over a month ago.
> >
> > What do you think?  Is this a good idea or would it just create more
> > headaches?

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Nightly builds to Maven repo Was: [maven] developer repository?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Matthew,

re:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=commons-dev@jakarta.apac
he.org&msgNo=40252

See repository@apache.org.  There are already a group trying to do this
work.  Tim Anderson, for one, has done a superb job, as have others.  If you
can help herd the various projects that would be good.

	--- Noel

RE: [maven] developer repository?