Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ray <ra...@media32.ca> on 2006/03/14 05:51:14 UTC

[users@httpd] 403 error (script alias directive involved?)

Hello,
I am having a problem with a 403 error that I can't solve.
I am trying to set up a stats package on a server hosting about 30
different websites. The stats package is in a sub folder of the htdocs
folder. It is accessed through a scriptAlias directive on all the websites.
e.g. www.foo.com/stats/.....
or www.bar.com/stats/......
the stats package is run by a perl script with a complicated (to the
average customer) argument, so I want to do an auto redirect to it.
e.g. www.foo.com/stats/filename.pl?config=[......]
so I want to redirect to it automatically by using
www.foo.com/stats/index.php
(which is a very simple script which just calls the perl script)
The problem is that entering the URL   www.foo.com/stats/  gives a 403
access forbidden error.
however,    www.foo.com/stats/index.php     works perfectly.
System specs are:
Apache 2 Triad with SSL on win 2003.
I have full console and admin access, but I can't make major changes.
(such as dump M$)
I thought that the problem might be windows folder permissions, but I
duplicated permissions for a working website. no change.
More than happy to read the manual if I could figure out which part.
Any help or sugestions appreciated
Ray

Re: [users@httpd] 403 error (script alias directive involved?)

Posted by Larry Flathmann <ma...@elrancho.com.mx>.
Hi,

I'm not at all an experience Apache user, but you might check to see if
you have your directive specifying the default webpage to open in the
right place.

Do you have the line:
        DirectoryIndex index.php
in the <Directory> section for the actual folder specified by the
scriptAlias directive?

Another possibility that you could experiment with, though I don't know
enough to explain it, is using an Alias directive rather than a
scriptAlias directive, because for me running a script in a php file
doesn't count as a script. I'm using php, and if i use a scriptAlias
directive it doesn't work, whereas a regular Alias directive does.

Hope that helps!

--Larry Flathmann