Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/08 18:27:25 UTC

SCA 2.0, was Re: Next SCA release

I was waiting to start this discussion after SCA 1.2 was out of the
door, but looks like you were faster then me. I'm +1 on this, and here
is my proposal.

- Continue with SCA 1.x maintenance releases based on the current SCA
1.2 branch. This would be a more stable codebase, and we should avoid
big changes that could brake backward compatibility here.

- Use trunk as our SCA 2.0 release stream, where we would do the type
of work discussed in [1], the cleanup and restructuring mentioned by
you on this thread, as well as any other work that the community feels
its applicable.

Note that my proposal does not exclude merging items between branch
and trunk as necessary, but this would probably be done case by case
when the community thinks it's applicable.

Thoughts ?

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev%40ws.apache.org/msg29820.html

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Re: SCA 2.0, was Re: Next SCA release

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 4:43 AM, Mark Combellack <mc...@apache.org> wrote:

>    * Version 2.x will be the main focus
>       * Most of the development effort happens on Version 2.x
>       * We will make API changes which means that it will not be backwards
>  compatible with version 1
>    * Version 1.x will go into "maintenance mode".
>       * May get some bug fixes and minor updates
>
>  If my presumptions are correct then, from my point of view, we should keep
>  the trunk as the most up to date version - i.e. Version 2.
>
>  Any maintenance for previous Version 1.x release should be done on their own
>  branches.

+1

I still think this is the way we should go. As I said in my original
proposal, I was expecting community members to have interest in keep
maintaining and adding small enhancements to the 1.x branch, we have
many users consuming releases from that branch, that might need bug
fixes, etc.

>  ant also makes an interesting point about timing. Without clear goals and
>  objectives for Version 2.x, perhaps we should hold off on branching.

We have spent a good amount of time to make sure the 1.2 branch is
very clean, and working perfectly for the release. With this said, I
think it should be considered to be the source for 1.x branch, and we
should consider cutting the branch at the moment we have 1.2 out of
the door.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <
jsdelfino@apache.org> wrote:

<snip>

After a week away I thought we'd have a clearer picture on this. Yesterday I
> put together some improvements of the admin app and some of the tutorial
> modules. I must say I'm a little lost now as to where I should commit that
> stuff.

Thats easy - to trunk. Development happens in the trunk.

   ...ant

Re: SCA 2.0, was Re: Next SCA release

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Luciano Resende wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 3:28 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Simon Nash <na...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>  <snip>
>>

>> +1.  Many of the items suggested for 2.0 have previously been the
>>  > subject of discussions that have not been easy to close.  Until
>>  > we have agreement on how to approach these things, I think it's
>>  > better for 2.0 development to happen in an "investigative" branch.
>>  > Doing this will allow us to try different approaches and see
>>  > which we prefer, without causing a lot of churn to the trunk.
>>  >

>>  So based on the comments so far I think we should hold off on moving to 2.0
>>  for now.
>
> +1, let's get consensus first.
>
>>  That said I'm extremely wary of the having work going on in "investigative"
>>  branches, given Tuscany's history of branches and forks I really really hope
>>  this doesn't happen much and we'd instead all try to work together in the
>>  trunk.
>>

> +1
>
>>    ...ant

After a week away I thought we'd have a clearer picture on this.
Yesterday I put together some improvements of the admin app and some of
the tutorial modules. I must say I'm a little lost now as to where I
should commit that stuff.

It's difficult to see where we are in this long thread. Is there a
consensus? Can somebody please summarize where we are?

Thanks.
--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: SCA 2.0, was Re: Next SCA release

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1  for moving the trunk to 2.0 and working on all the changes that we have
been wanted to make to the SPIs, distribution packaging, runtimes etc.

+1 for having 1.2 as maintenance branch and keeping it stable.  Any
improvements keeping this as base could continue on the branch and maybe if
our 2.0 release if going to take a while, we could make some 1.2.x sort of
minor releases.  Since the branch has been cleaned up the release work for
these should hopefully be less too.

+1 for keeping the same space for the docs but create a separate stream of
docs for version 2 specific things.  This is 'option 2' in the proposal
related to documentation.

Thanks

- Venkat

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 3:28 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Simon Nash <na...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>  <snip>
>

> +1.  Many of the items suggested for 2.0 have previously been the
>  > subject of discussions that have not been easy to close.  Until
>  > we have agreement on how to approach these things, I think it's
>  > better for 2.0 development to happen in an "investigative" branch.
>  > Doing this will allow us to try different approaches and see
>  > which we prefer, without causing a lot of churn to the trunk.
>  >

>  So based on the comments so far I think we should hold off on moving to 2.0
>  for now.

+1, let's get consensus first.

>  That said I'm extremely wary of the having work going on in "investigative"
>  branches, given Tuscany's history of branches and forks I really really hope
>  this doesn't happen much and we'd instead all try to work together in the
>  trunk.

+1

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
Comments inline.

   Simon

Simon Laws wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Mark Combellack <mc...@apache.org>

This is my expectation as well.

>> this

>>> Keeping maintenance branches going and porting fixes from trunk back to
>>> them
>>> seems fine but as has been demonstrated several times in Tuscany's
>> history
>>> we are not able to maintain a consensus based approach to development
>> when
>>> new development is going on in multiple branches. If we're not ready to
>>> make
>>> backward compatibility breaking changes to the trunk code then IMHO we
>>> should just wait.
>>>
>>>    ...ant
>>
>> It all depends on the development focus. I am presuming that:
>>
>>   * Version 2.x will be the main focus
>>      * Most of the development effort happens on Version 2.x
>>      * We will make API changes which means that it will not be backwards
>> compatible with version 1
>>   * Version 1.x will go into "maintenance mode".
>>      * May get some bug fixes and minor updates
>>
>> If my presumptions are correct then, from my point of view, we should keep
>> the trunk as the most up to date version - i.e. Version 2.
>>
>> Any maintenance for previous Version 1.x release should be done on their
>> own
>> branches.

I don't think we are ready yet to "retire" the 1.x codebase to the
extent that's stated here.  Like Sebastien, I plan to work on
improvements to the 1.x codebase over the next few weeks.

>> ant also makes an interesting point about timing. Without clear goals and
>> objectives for Version 2.x, perhaps we should hold off on branching.

+1.  Many of the items suggested for 2.0 have previously been the
subject of discussions that have not been easy to close.  Until
we have agreement on how to approach these things, I think it's
better for 2.0 development to happen in an "investigative" branch.
Doing this will allow us to try different approaches and see
which we prefer, without causing a lot of churn to the trunk.

>> Mark

> Hi Mark
>
> I agree and specifically on your last point this was the basis of my comment
> about us being in the investigation stage, i.e. working out what our goals
> are. We definitely don't have a clear view of those at the moment other than
> the hazy things that we haven't yet clearly articulated. I don't have any
> feeling that we are in the position to jump into V2.0 development with a
> view to doing a release any time soon.

+1.

> I would also like to hear some user input on the things that are really
> important and whether they fall into the category of V2.0 breaking changes
> or V1.X compatible changes.

I think this is very important.  I'd like to take the current 1.x
codebase as far as we can without making breaking changes, and
I don't think we have reached that point yet.  When we have a list
of things that
  1. we agree need doing, and how to do them
  2. are based on user requirements
  3. can't be done in 1.x
I think that would be the right time to switch the main project focus
over to the 2.0 codebase.

   Simon

Re: SCA 2.0, was Re: Next SCA release

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
Comments inline.

   Simon

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
> [...]
> own
> branches.
>

> ant also makes an interesting point about timing. Without clear goals and
> objectives for Version 2.x, perhaps we should hold off on branching.
>
> Mark

Hi Mark

I agree and specifically on your last point this was the basis of my comment
about us being in the investigation stage, i.e. working out what our goals
are. We definitely don't have a clear view of those at the moment other than
the hazy things that we haven't yet clearly articulated. I don't have any
feeling that we are in the position to jump into V2.0 development with a
view to doing a release any time soon.

I would also like to hear some user input on the things that are really
important and whether they fall into the category of V2.0 breaking changes

Regards

Simon

Re: SCA 2.0, was Re: Next SCA release

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Combellack <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev%40ws.apache.org/msg30237.html

Re: SCA 2.0, was Re: Next SCA release

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:23 PM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <
> jsdelfino@apache.org> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> 1.3 sounds good to me. I'm assuming that we'll cut that branch out of
>> trunk?
>>
>> I'm asking because I'm interested in working on some improvements of 1.2
>> in the next few weeks. This shouldn't delay any 2.0 work however, which can
>> go in parallel.
>>

> That sounds scary.
>
> Are you saying you don't think its the right time for 2.0?

No, and I'm not sure about what's not clear in "I'm interested in
working on some improvements of 1.2 in the next few weeks. This
shouldn't delay any 2.0 work however, which can go in parallel." and why
it sounds scary.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: SCA 2.0, was Re: Next SCA release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
haleh mahbod wrote:
>> 1 - [] Put V2 doc changes in V1 pages and mark them as such
>> 2 - [] Create SCA Java 1.x/ SCA Java 2.x documentation pages on our current
> site wiki
>> 3 - [] Create separate SCA Java 1.x/ SCA Java 2.x wiki spaces
>
> Option 2 seems reasonable.  Option 3 can be considered in the future if
> there is a need.
> It would be good to get user's perspective on all this.

+0.5 for options [1], [2] and maybe [3] later :)

I'm just saying 0.5 as looking at our current docs as I'm not sure about
  how people are planning to change them in 2.0. It's a little difficult
to discuss a process to manage changes without knowing the extent and
nature of the changes :)

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: SCA 2.0, was Re: Next SCA release

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:03 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM, haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 on versioning SCA docs
> > >
> > > Assuming two versions of SCA Java, I can see that the following page
> > will
> > > change to point to two different versions of SCA Java, 1.x and 2.x and
> > > their
> > > related documentation.
> > >

> http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/tuscany-downloads-documentations.html
> > >
> > > Tuscany SCA Java general page would contain general information that
> > would
> > > pertain to both versions. So, it might need to change.
> > > http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/sca-java.html
> > >
> > > On the left navigation of sca-java page, we would have two boxes
> > > SCA Java 2.x
> > > SCA Java 1.x
> > >
> > > each would point to their own releases and their own documentations
> and
> > > source code tree.
> > >
> > > There is a set of documentations under SCA Java that are generic, like
> > > development guide. We could share these pages between the two
> versions.
> > >
> > > Does this make sense?
> > >

> > Generally make sense to me.
> >
> > On the particular question of where to host V2  and V2 docs we have
> > identified 3 choices so far.
> >
> > 1 - [] Put V2 doc changes in V1 pages and mark them as such
> > 2 - [] Create SCA Java 1.x/ SCA Java 2.x documentation pages on our
> > current
> > site wiki
> > 3 - [] Create separate SCA Java 1.x/ SCA Java 2.x wiki spaces
> >
> > Are there other cunning options we need to consider. I'm for option 2 at
> > the
> > current time.
> >
> > Simon
> >

> How would that option [2] actually work?
>
> Lets say I change the way the dwr binding works and want to update the doc
> for V2, the current wiki page is at
> http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/sca-java-bindingajax.html so what
> would
> i do for the new v2 page?
>
>   ...ant

You would make
http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/sca-java-v2-bindingajax.html<http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/sca-java-bindingajax.html>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
+1 on versioning SCA docs

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>

<snip>

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
I'm +1 on this. Comments in line

Simon.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Yep, this is exactly what i'm was suggesting, was just leaving the name till
later :)

   ...ant

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
>> I was thinking about a branch to make it clear that it was shared and that
>> this work was open to all, but I'm also happy to see that work start in
>> shared sandboxes.
>
> I guess from whats been said so far then I'd favour using sandboxes
> for now for specific work that really can't be done in trunk, and
> where ever possible continue to use trunk to do what can be done there
> (looking at that list of examples i think we could find ways to do a
> lot in trunk).

I also think that many of these could be done in trunk.  It would
be good to talk about each of these and come to a conclusion on
what the options are for a solution, and whether or not these
proposed options can be implemented in trunk.

   Simon

Re: SCA 2.0, was Re: Next SCA release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:

>> together

>> and
>>>>

>>> jsdelfino@apache.org> wrote:
>>> It doesn't really make a difference for me: just 2 folders, one for 1.x
>>> one for 2.0, and just make clear which one is which and what's its
>> purpose.
>>> I'm fine with whatever option people prefer: trunk for 2.0 and
>>> branches/1.x  or trunk for 1.x and branches/2.0, or foo/2.0,
>> sandbox/2.0,
>>> whatever keeps our community happy.
>>>

>> simonslaws@googlemail.com wrote:
>> Given the amount of activity we have going on in trunk at the moment, I
>> would support 1.x remaining as trunk and cutting a branch to allow for
>> more
>> innovative (read breaking) development in a 2.0 code stream.

+1 that makes sense to me

> ant elder wrote:
> It sounds like I (and a lot of the other committers) are going to be quite
> busy developing the current trunk for the next couple of months and that
> will make it difficult to participate fully in what happens in a parallel
> branch. Can this new work really not happen in trunk? Whats changed to make
> all the comments at the bottom of [1] no longer relevant?
>
>    ...ant
>
> [1] http://apache.markmail.org/message/7ksuvizroitpafnp

What's changed is the design discussions that have recently popped up on
the list (I gave 9 examples) [2], which IMO will require concrete work
including breaking changes, and I think we need a place for that kind of
work to happen without breaking the stability of the current code base
in trunk.

The earlier email you referenced [1] also said this:
====
Many of the items suggested for 2.0 have previously been the subject of
discussions that have not been easy to close. Until we have agreement on
how to approach these things, I think it's better for 2.0 development to
happen in an "investigative" branch. Doing this will allow us to try
different approaches and see which we prefer, without causing a lot of
churn to the trunk.
====
That's consistent with my view, and I'm looking for the right Subversion
folder to make progress on the 9 mentioned items, hoping that it'll help
the community discuss and reach consensus based on concrete work / code.

I was thinking about a branch to make it clear that it was shared and
that this work was open to all, but I'm also happy to see that work
start in shared sandboxes. On a related note, it looks like this is what
Adriano and Oscar are doing with the Android port for example.

[2] http://marc.info/?l=tuscany-dev&m=121066365312526

Thoughts?
--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: SCA 2.0, was Re: Next SCA release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
+1 to Simon's view point.  I also see this good from one of our earlier
objective to keep our trunk stable.  I'd prefer that we evolve the
(potentially breaking) changes that we want to do in our road to 2.0
initially in a branch.

Just a worry - would it be challenging to keep the branch and trunk in sync
from a feature enhancements perspective.  i.e. if there are some feature
enhancements that go into the trunk then we have to ensure that equivalent
ones go into the branch smoothly riding over the changes that have happened
in there.

- Venkat

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
snip....

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Simon Nash wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> - Databinding work, with some brainstorming started by Raymond.
>>>
>>> - OSGi integration, which may lead to SPI and module changes, maybe even
>>> some distribution changes.
>>>
>>> - Extension mechanism, with some discussions about switching to XML
>>> and/or
>>> using definitions.xml or similar mechanisms.
>>>
>>> - SCA domain implementation, I'm starting to see emerge different
>>> trends /
>>> directions, not addressed by the recent work that Simon and I have
>>> done in
>>> that area.
>>>
>>> - Runtime integration in particular with Web containers. I think that We
>>> now have 3 or 4 different variants of this.
>>>
>>> - Model changes, in particular in the area of Bindings/Endpoints, which
>>> will lead to Provider SPI changes too.
>>>
>>> - Changes to our WSDL modeling story, Java2WSDL generation, and
>>> looking at
>>> the difficulties Mike went through in the BPEL integration to get his
>>> hands
>>> on WSDL, I think we can improve that WSDL model and handling too.
>>>
>>> - New SCA client APIs (still need to catch up with that but it looks
>>> like
>>> there's good discussions about that too).
>>>
>>> - Support for the SCA/JEE spec, which I think will bring new
>>> requirements
>>> to our models and SPIs.
>>>
>>> I'm probably missing a few more items like that, but the point is
>>> that we
>>> need a place to work on all these new ideas.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I think it's really important to continue to maintain
>>> the code base that works today alive with it's APIs and SPIs, for all
>>> the
>>> people who currently use, integrate and embed Tuscany, and to be able to
>>> continue to promote SOA and the SCA programming model with that code
>>> base.
>>>
>>> So, how about starting a 2.0 branch for the new stuff that we want to
>>> rework, and a 1.x branch for the existing code base?
>>>
>>> Here's my +1 :)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jean-Sebastien
>>

>> It would be good to clean up and improve all the things that have been
>> mentioned in this thread, but I still believe what I said in [1]. So if
>> we're ready to put the 1.x in maintenance mode and start doing this
>> new work
>> in trunk thats great, but if we've still significant development work
>> to do
>> in 1.x then I don't think we should have a 2.0 branch yet. That shouldn't
>> stop us doing most of this new work in trunk though as most of what we're
>> talking in about in this thread can continue to be done in the current
>> trunk
>> without being too disruptive.
>>
>>    ...ant
>>
>> [1] http://apache.markmail.org/message/75wp2p3juyzb4xym
>>
> I don't think we should be putting 1.x into maintenance mode now.

I agree. In my initial email I said 'maintain ... live'. By 'live' I
meant that non-breaking changes, evolutions, improvements would still go
into 1.x to support our user community and the efforts to help increase
adoption of SCA based on that code (tutorials, samples, various
integrations with other projects, a stable base for newcomers to get on
board the project, etc).

> I'm open to having an exploratory branch for 2.0 that would be used
> as a place to experiment with new ideas that can't be done in the 1.x
> trunk because they are too disruptive.

Like most of the items currently being discussed, which I listed above.
If we want to tackle them well they have to be disruptive.

  If we do this, we'll need to
> have a clear understanding of what things would be done in the 2.0
> branch and what activity would continue in 1.x.  My view is that
> anything that doesn't require breakage would be done in 1.x for now.

+1, exactly

> Another approach could be to start by doing the experimental work in
> sandboxes.

I prefer a branch to make it clear that all in the community can work in
it, to make it clear that it's accepted by the project, that it's
buildable etc, instead of having work buried in the middle of a sandbox
together with obsolete or broken stuff, with an unclear status.

On the other hand, I think it doesn't really make much difference to
work in foo/some-work, bar/some-work, sandbox/some-work or
branches/some-work. More important for me is how many people work in
that folder, is that work open to all, and is the result of that work
available to the community.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: SCA 2.0, was Re: Next SCA release

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> [...]
>

> It would be good to clean up and improve all the things that have been
> mentioned in this thread, but I still believe what I said in [1]. So if
> we're ready to put the 1.x in maintenance mode and start doing this new work
> in trunk thats great, but if we've still significant development work to do
> in 1.x then I don't think we should have a 2.0 branch yet. That shouldn't
> stop us doing most of this new work in trunk though as most of what we're
> talking in about in this thread can continue to be done in the current trunk
> without being too disruptive.
>
>    ...ant
>
> [1] http://apache.markmail.org/message/75wp2p3juyzb4xym

I don't think we should be putting 1.x into maintenance mode now.

I'm open to having an exploratory branch for 2.0 that would be used
as a place to experiment with new ideas that can't be done in the 1.x
trunk because they are too disruptive.  If we do this, we'll need to

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.