Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Klaus Pforte <kl...@gmx.de> on 2004/09/22 20:01:36 UTC

(Upgrade 2.63 -> 3.0.0) AND (Upgrade Bayes File -> MySQL) Documentation?

Hi there,

I'm running 2.63 with sitewide bayes and whitelist in a normal file.
It runs good!

Now I want to upgrade to 3.0.0 final and want to use the new feature
with Bayes and Whitelist(?) in a MySQL database.

But I can't find a good documentation to do this.
Or did I search not long enough...?

Another question:
I'm running 2.63 with Pyzor, DCC, Razor2 and the following rulesets:
70_sare_header
70_sare_html
70_sare_random
70_sare_spoof
99_sare_adult
99_sare_fraud
antidrug
bogus_virus_warnings
evilnumbers
spamcop_uri (0.22)

I have spamd processes with around 30 MB.
What rulesets in special make the most memory consumption?

And:
Need 3.0.0 more memory?

My server has 512MB, but need most of it for HTTP.

Thanks for help, greetings from Germany,
Klaus

Re[2]: (Upgrade 2.63 -> 3.0.0) AND (Upgrade Bayes File -> MySQL) Documentation?

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Kai,

Sunday, September 26, 2004, 2:17:37 PM, you wrote:

KS> Robert Menschel wrote on Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:00:07 -0700:

>> We split them out this way specifically because file 0 gives the most
>> bang for the buck (er, computer resource), file 1 also gives good return
>> on the investment, and files 2 and 3 are useful for aggressive sites with
>> lots of computer resources, but sites that are low on resources should
>> probably not use these low-return files.
>>

KS> I was "gradually" aware of these split versions, but I didn't make the
KS> connection from your answer to that, thanks. I use rules_du_jour and there
KS> doesn't seem to be another option as to use f.i. "sare_header" in general
KS> unless I make up my own rules. Or does it use the 0 rules only, anyway?

As far as I know, RDJ lets you use any individual file or combination of
files -- you just need to specify the correct parameters to feed RDJ, so
it knows what to pull in for you. I don't use it, and haven't looked at
it in any detail, so I can't give you more specific help, but others
should be able to.

Bob Menschel

Re: (Upgrade 2.63 -> 3.0.0) AND (Upgrade Bayes File -> MySQL) Documentation?

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Robert Menschel wrote on Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:00:07 -0700:

> We split them out this way specifically because file 0 gives the most
> bang for the buck (er, computer resource), file 1 also gives good return
> on the investment, and files 2 and 3 are useful for aggressive sites with
> lots of computer resources, but sites that are low on resources should
> probably not use these low-return files.

I was "gradually" aware of these split versions, but I didn't make the
connection from your answer to that, thanks. I use rules_du_jour and there
doesn't seem to be another option as to use f.i. "sare_header" in general
unless I make up my own rules. Or does it use the 0 rules only, anyway?

Kai

--

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re[2]: (Upgrade 2.63 -> 3.0.0) AND (Upgrade Bayes File -> MySQL) Documentation?

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Kai,

KS> Robert Menschel wrote on Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:35:35 -0700:
>> If they are, trim your 70_sare_header and 70_sare_html down to the
>> "file 0" file for best performance.

KS> What do you mean by this?

SARE's header, html, and genlsubj rules files are actually collections of
multiple files:
- File 0 - rules that hit ONLY spam (eg: 70_sare_header0.cf
- File 1 - rules that hit spam, but a little ham (eg: 70_sare_header1.cf)
- File 2 - rules that should hit spam, but don't hit anything at this
           time
- File 3 - rules that hit spam and also significant ham
- plus some others

The 70_sare_header.cf file is a concatenation of the above four header
files. The 70_sare_html.cf file is a concantenation of the above four
html files.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Klaus,

Wednesday, September 22, 2004, 11:07:19 AM, Michael wrote:

MP> On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 08:01:36PM +0200, Klaus Pforte wrote:
>> I'm running 2.63 with sitewide bayes and whitelist in a normal file.
>> It runs good!

>> Another question:
>> I'm running 2.63 with Pyzor, DCC, Razor2 and the following rulesets:
>> 70_sare_header
>> 70_sare_html
>> 70_sare_random
>> 70_sare_spoof
>> 99_sare_adult
>> 99_sare_fraud
>> antidrug
>> bogus_virus_warnings
>> evilnumbers
>> spamcop_uri (0.22)

MP> For sure get rid of spamcop_uri, it's built into 3.0.0.

Ditto with antidrug.

MP> I would actually suggest, removing all of the above (rulesets, you can
MP> keep Pyzor/DCC/Razor around if you'd like), start with a new install
MP> then add only as needed.  Extra rulesets do add to your memory
MP> requirements.

99_sare_adult is obsolete, replaced by 70_sare_adult long time ago.

70_sare_adult itself has not been modified since June, and so might be
losing some potency. You might want to leave it out of your 3.0 setup
unless its target spam sneak through.

If resources are not a problem, add some of the 70_sare_genlsubj files.

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 08:01:36PM +0200, Klaus Pforte wrote:

> I'm running 2.63 with sitewide bayes and whitelist in a normal file.
> It runs good!

Currently you can't do sitewide AWL in SQL.

> Now I want to upgrade to 3.0.0 final and want to use the new feature
> with Bayes and Whitelist(?) in a MySQL database.
>
> But I can't find a good documentation to do this.
> Or did I search not long enough...?

sql/README*

> Another question:
> I'm running 2.63 with Pyzor, DCC, Razor2 and the following rulesets:
> 70_sare_header
> 70_sare_html
> 70_sare_random
> 70_sare_spoof
> 99_sare_adult
> 99_sare_fraud
> antidrug
> bogus_virus_warnings
> evilnumbers
> spamcop_uri (0.22)

For sure get rid of spamcop_uri, it's built into 3.0.0.

I would actually suggest, removing all of the above (rulesets, you can
keep Pyzor/DCC/Razor around if you'd like), start with a new install
then add only as needed.  Extra rulesets do add to your memory
requirements.

Michael