Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Zhen Fan <zh...@fedex.com> on 2007/01/25 23:08:54 UTC

How to get the changed information by using NotificationListener

I am currently trying to use slide to integrate with Exchange. I can
save contact/appt to the exchange. Now I need to be notified when people
change things in outlook, i.e. contacts/appt. What I have accomplished
is to be notified when there is a change in the exchange resource I
subscribe. But I cannot get the information about what has been changed.
For example, when the user changes the "first name" of the contacts, I
got the notification that there is a change, but I could not get the
information what has been changed.

How can I get that information?

Thanks!

Zhen (Jen) Fan

901-263-3245

Zhen (Jen) Fan

901-263-3245

RE: WCK

Posted by Reza Rahman <rr...@tripodtech.net>.
Frank:

I am not a 100% sure, but I think WCK is too abstract for you to control
authorization. As far as I can tell, authentication is as far as WCK
built-in functionality goes. I don't see any spot where WCK actually checks
against JAAS for roles. However, you could implement this yourself in your
custom store by checking the Principal's roles in your methods and throw an
AccessDeniedException as you see fit.

Reza

RE: How to get the changed information by using NotificationListener

Posted by Zhen Fan <zh...@fedex.com>.
Not really.

What I mean by integrating is that my client application needs to access
the Exchange server, i.e. to retrieve contacts/appts or save
contacts/appts.

What I have accomplished is from the client application to the Exchange
server. So if the user creates/updates the contact, I can save/update
that contact information on the Exchange server so the change will show
in his outlook.

What I need now is from the Exchange server to the client application.
This means that if the user updates his contact in Outlook, I can update
that information in my client application. I am able to be notified when
the user changes the information in Outlook. But I cannot find what the
information has been changed. I guess I need to use the Callback thing,
but I don't know how to use it. You mentioned that you used the
NotificationListener. Can you point to me how to set up the callback?
What is that htpp-server IP address and port?

Thanks a lot!

Zhen (Jen) Fan
901-263-3245

Posted by Michael Oliver <ol...@sourceonenet.com>.
Interesting.

When you say "integrate with Exchange", do you mean you wrote a custom store
to use the Exchange API?  If so that's what we did but we created java
objects to correspond with Exchange objects and then serialized them to XML.

The NotificationListener then sees the update to the xml document (or
property) and sends the URI to it, we then can look at the xml or
instantiate the java object at that URI.  We use an Exchange scope like
/slide/files/Exchange/ for the store and then directories under that scope
for Contacts, Email, Appointments, etc.

------------------------------------
Alarius Systems LLC
Mike Oliver