Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Per Steffensen <st...@designware.dk> on 2011/12/05 12:23:54 UTC

Continuous update on progress of "New SolrCloud Design" work

Hi

My guess is that the work for acheiving
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/NewSolrCloudDesign has begun on branch
"solrcloud". It is hard to follow what is going on and how to use what
has been acheived - you cannot follow the examples on
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud anymore (e.g. there is no
shard="shard1" in solr/example/solr/solr.xml anymore). Will it be
possible to maintain a how-to-use section on
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/NewSolrCloudDesign with examples, e.g. like
to ones on http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud, on how to use it, that
"at any time" reflects how to use whats on the HEAD of "solrcloud" branch?

In my project we are about to start using something else that
ElasticSearch, and SolrCloud is an option, but there is a lot to be done
in Solr(Cloud) before it is even comparable with ElasticSearch wrt
features. If we choose to go for SolrCloud we would like to participate
in the development of the new SolrCloud, and add features corresponding
to stuff that we used to use in ElasticSearch, but it is very hard to
contribute to SolrCloud if it is "black box" (that only a few persons
know about) work going on on branch "solrcloud" getting us from
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud to
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/NewSolrCloudDesign.

Regards, Per Steffensen

Re: Continuous update on progress of "New SolrCloud Design" work

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Per Steffensen <st...@designware.dk> wrote:

and add features

What's the list of features you are looking for?

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: Continuous update on progress of "New SolrCloud Design" work

Posted by Per Steffensen <st...@designware.dk>.
Yonik Seeley skrev:
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Per Steffensen <st...@designware.dk> wrote:
>
>> Will it be possible to maintain a how-to-use section on http://wiki.apache.org/solr/NewSolrCloudDesign with examples, e.g. like to ones on http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud,
>>

> Yep, it was on my near-term todo list to put up a quick developers
> guide on how to get started quickly, and a little of how it works
> under the covers.
> Nothing too polished of course since it's rapidly evolving.

Yes, of course. Sounds nice.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Per Steffensen <st...@designware.dk> wrote:
>Will it be possible to maintain a how-to-use section on http://wiki.apache.org/solr/NewSolrCloudDesign with examples, e.g. like to ones on http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud,

Yep, it was on my near-term todo list to put up a quick developers
guide on how to get started quickly, and a little of how it works
under the covers.
Nothing too polished of course since it's rapidly evolving.

> If we choose
> to go for SolrCloud we would like to participate in the development of the
> new SolrCloud

Great!

-Yonik

Posted by Per Steffensen <st...@designware.dk>.
Andy skrev:
> Hi,
>

>> add features corresponding to stuff that we used to use in ElasticSearch
>>

> Does that mean you have used ElasticSearch but decided to try SolrCloud instead?

Yes, or at least we are looking for altertives right now. Considering
Solandra, SolrCloud, Katta, Riak Search, OrientDB, Lily etc. etc. etc.
> I'm also looking at a distributed solution. ElasticSearch just seems much further along than SolrCloud. So I'd be interested to hear about any particular reasons you decided to pick SolrCloud instead of ElasticSearch.

I agree that ES is much further along than SolrCloud (and the other
alternatives for that matter). I would like to stay with ES for my
project, but its a political decision (you know product owners :-) ) not
to stay with ES. Nothing technical. Im affraid that I cannot say more
about why we are not staying with ES. But basically I would also go for
ElasticSearch if I was you - at least for now, until SolrCloud gets
further wrt implementation. But I believe that the "intentions" on where
to go with SolrCloud listed on Wiki sounds great, so SolrCloud might
eventually catch up with ES.

Posted by Andy <an...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,