Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Gino Lisignoli <gl...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/13 20:06:49 UTC

New ListFTP (and possibly ListXXX) processors fail to pickup new files

In 1.4.0-SNAPSHOT, the ListFTP processor fails to add new files after
several hours.

At the moment I'm testing this on a cluster of 2. But I'm looking to
replicate my issue on a single instance as well.

I'm not sure if this is a cluster state problem, a processor state problem
or the new ListXXX commits (
https://github.com/apache/nifi/commit/e68ff153e81ddb82d1136d44a96bdb7a70da86d1
and
https://github.com/apache/nifi/commit/28ee70222b892fb799f5f74a31a9de678d9fb629
).

I'll be looking at those commits first around the ListFTP process. Unless
theres any advice can be offered.

Should I submit this to Jira issues, or wait until I can confirm/replicate
the behaviour?

Re: New ListFTP (and possibly ListXXX) processors fail to pickup new files

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
A single node still needs a state manager to survive restarts of the application, but there is no more distributed state at that point, so the local state manager is backed by a write-ahead-log store in ./state under NiFi’s home directory.

- Bryan

Posted by Gino Lisignoli <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
This should be correct behavior... the cache approach was used before the
state manager got introduced, and the cache was left there to migrate old
state, but we do need to pick a release and remove those lingering cache
properties.

Do you have the cluster state manager configured in state managers xml?

It should be using zoo keeper when in a cluster.

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 6:23 PM Gino Lisignoli <gl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Joe
>
> The distributed cache service property of ListXXX doesn't seem to matter
> anymore. Which was quite a surprise to me. It just gets handled by the
> state manager:
> https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/e68ff153e81ddb82d1136d44a96bdb7a70da86d1/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-extension-utils/nifi-processor-utils/src/main/java/org/apache/nifi/processor/util/list/AbstractListProcessor.java#L264
>
> You can test this via setting the Distributed Cache Service to a redis
> server and watch no connections ever being made, which was how I found out.
> Not sure if this is intended or not.
>

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Gino
>>
>> When the primary node shifts the new primary node should take over the
>> function of doing the listings for you.  You'll want to be using the
>> distributed cache property of the ListFTP/etc.. processors to help
>> keep state in such cases.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Gino Lisignoli <gl...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I can confirm that the cause of my problem is the primary node shifting
>> to a
>> > new node in my cluster. This causes all of the ListXXX processors to
>> stop
>> > working (as they are set to only run on my primary node). I'm not sure
>> what
>> > is causing my primary node to shift, or why the processors are unable to
>> > recover when the node shifts. If I find any more info I'll raise a
>> ticket.

>> https://github.com/apache/nifi/commit/e68ff153e81ddb82d1136d44a96bdb7a70da86d1
>> >> >

>> https://github.com/apache/nifi/commit/28ee70222b892fb799f5f74a31a9de678d9fb629
>> ).

> --
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: New ListFTP (and possibly ListXXX) processors fail to pickup new files

Posted by Gino Lisignoli <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Gino