Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Uwe Rosebrock <uw...@rosebrock.org> on 2004/02/05 01:54:49 UTC

virtual hosting

Hi guys,

I am new to the mailing-list (or rather back), I am currently adding
some functionality to use James in a production environment. For that
purpose I needed virtual hosting. Now I was wondering if you guys would
be interested in that solution,
very simple based on two db tables whereby a user account is mapped to
any number of aliases. A db driven Matcher/Mailet pair does the work.

The other issue I have got is that I like block certain ip addresses at
the connection level, meaning that I like the SMTPHandler to
refuse/close the connection if the address is in the 'drop' list.
Does that sound feasible or would that generate to much overhead?
On that note, why is everything in e.g. SMTPHandler/SMTPServer declared
private, it makes it very difficult to extend efficiently?

Cheers
Uwe

Re: virtual hosting

Posted by Alex Zhukov <zh...@ukrpost.net>.
Uwe Rosebrock wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am new to the mailing-list (or rather back), I am currently adding
> some functionality to use James in a production environment. For that
> purpose I needed virtual hosting. Now I was wondering if you guys would
> be interested in that solution,
> very simple based on two db tables whereby a user account is mapped to
> any number of aliases. A db driven Matcher/Mailet pair does the work.
>
> The other issue I have got is that I like block certain ip addresses at
> the connection level, meaning that I like the SMTPHandler to
> refuse/close the connection if the address is in the 'drop' list.
> Does that sound feasible or would that generate to much overhead?
> On that note, why is everything in e.g. SMTPHandler/SMTPServer declared
> private, it makes it very difficult to extend efficiently?
i guess you can solve these issues with my smtpacl + virtual domains patch
http://www.ukrpost.net/research/james/maildir_acl_ldap_virtual_20040120.tar.gz

RE: virtual hosting

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> very simple based on two db tables whereby a user account is mapped to
> any number of aliases. A db driven Matcher/Mailet pair does the work.

We already have that (not released), although it uses a single table and
supports more than just aliases.

> The other issue I have got is that I like block certain ip addresses
> at the connection level, meaning that I like the SMTPHandler to
> refuse/close the connection if the address is in the 'drop' list.

Another thing for which we have partial support, but need to generalize

> why is everything in e.g. SMTPHandler/SMTPServer declared private

To prevent people creating dependencies that we may not want to support.  It
is Open Source.  You are free to change it as you wish.

	--- Noel